SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet Ison, my first ever comet.

It had to be done, normally I never do comets but this one is kind of special so I made the effort and stayed up till 6.30 am last night to capture it. Could not really get any detail until way past 5.30 when the moon went behind the horizon in the west then it got lovely and dark and I grabbed 70 30 sec shots of this lovely comet.

post-8732-0-47384700-1382030066_thumb.jp

Thank you Simon,

For a while I thought it was all going to be in vain the moon took ages to go down and although I thought it would be ok at 4 am it was not dark enough till gone 5.30 and then the wind started to blow strongly. I had the good sense to put the telescope behind a fence to protect it from any gusts though and kept to short subs to stop any trailing..But it was worth it in the end. :grin:

That's brilliant QM. Excellent capture.

Cheers WaveSoarer feeling a bit tired now though not often I will stay up right till the next day to capture something lol.

I love it. Such a nice capture, well done! I'm really keen on capturing comets too - never, ever done it myself.

Thank you Gib007, if your going to have a go at this one get everthing ready the night before and choose your spot carefully to avoid faffing around in the early hours. I found it best just after 5am when it started to get dark and the moon had gone.

thats friggin awsome!! well worth the wait for you bud" ! :D

Thank you tingting44 it was indeed worth the wait its not actually that big when you see it for the first time and you can see it with binoculars as well just a little blip really but its there. I was using an 8inch Newt to capture this one so could not fit in mars as well. It just looked like a small smudge until it got dark after 5am then it really stood out nice and clear with a good long tail. I was taken 30 second exposures at an iso of 800 for this one and got about 70 of them to stack with just after 6.30 then it was sun up and game over. With out the moon it should be much better or just get up really early and take your shots then.

Cheers Neb, its pretty bright once the moon is gone so should be easy enough to capture if you can get up early enough and the clouds stay away. My biggest hassle was the wind that was really picking up by 5am in the morning but 30 second exposures and lots of them unguided and stacked did the trick. :smiley:

Archived