Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Hi,

Just getting into astrophotography and when I took the camera off the focus tube of the telescope (skywatcher 200) last night, I noticed that the secondary mirror was very dirty. I used a tissue as I thought that it may have been dew. It came up ok but my worry is that it may have a delicate coating or that it may even move out of alignment. Just interested if anyone else has had this problem and how they dealt with it. Also, more importantly, if the primary mirror gets dirty, (dew and dust etc.),how on earth is that supposed to be cleaned.

Any help is welcome.

P.  

The only way to clean a mirror is to remove it from the OTA (plenty of good vids on youtube). HOWEVER, newts get dirty... and they're quite happy to be so! Only clean your mirror if you absolutely have to. Dust won't make any meaningful difference to the performance of your telescope. On a final note, I wouldn't recommend wiping your mirror with a tissue as this could easily damage the reflective surface or precise figuring of your primary.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, Have to be really careful................................

P.

Your secondary mirror will probably be fine by the way... just in case you're worrying. I think the important thing to remember is never to clean your mirrors dry, moisture is the key :smiley:

Thanks again guys, also, with so much condensation around lately, viewing is just starting to deteriorate.

P.