Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheapest GoTo option for 127 Mak

Hello there, I'm looking for options for a budget GoTo mount for my 127 Mak. I'm still relatively new to Astro photography so I'm not expecting amazing images. I'd hoped to be further along the astronomy road, although due to an imminent wedding and being flat out at work I just haven't had the time. Last night though me and my oldest daughter went onto the roof for a look at the moon and got a couple of nice shots. So the bug has bitten again.

Opinions on an Celestron 60 LCM  (With the Mak fitted)  http://www.365astronomy.com/celestron-60-lcm-computerised-refractor-telescope-p-2304.html

Or is something like the Skywatcher AZ much better?  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-goto-mount.html

I know for the long term I should be buying EQ5 pro or better, but this ain't happening soon. The 60 LCM I know is cheap as chips, my idea is when I upgrade then the kids will always get use out of it but should I bother at all?

Is there any reason why I can't mount the DSLR to the LCM and lastly, long exposure is a no no, or just not ideal? 

Best regards

PS: Been looking at the Skywatcher allview also

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think the 60 LCM would take the weight of the MAK, the AZ mount would be better.

If you are looking at upgrading at a later date to an EQ then have you thought about buying a second hand AZ mount? Keep an eye out on ebay or Astrobuysell as they pop up every now and again.

I agree.  I think the 60LCM mount would perform very poorly with the 127 Mak on top.

If you want something suitable for long exposure imaging with a camera and lens then I'd be tempted to look at an EQ3-2 with the dual axis motors.  I managed up to four minutes on mine with a 200mm lens.

James

Cheers guys for the replies, yeah, I think your spot on!

Found this via google 

"The Celestron LCM AZ GOTO mount is rated by Celestron for loads up to 5 pounds (2.3kg) while the SkyWatcher SynScan AZ GOTO mount is rated for loads up to 8 pounds (3.6 kg)"

I'm not sure of the weight of the 127 Mak but I think it would be too tight for the LCM mount, pitty as I'm on Amazon prime and I see it there for £159 lol, could have had it for the weekend. The AZ Goto is looking more likely. I will always keep it I think and then when the time comes treat myself to a EQ5 or better. I'd love to have got away for £160 but looks like I'll have to spend a few shackles more. 

Is long exposure a no-no, you ask. A Mak is totally unsuitable for DS imaging, especially with a DSLR, because the focal ratio is far too slow. Until you start doing deep sky AP it can be very hard to believe that F ratio can be so important. But it is. Also, all this talk about weight and mounts is only half the story. Sure, you have to respect a mount's payload - but you also have to accept that the longer the focal length the more accuracy you need. The long focal length of the Mak requires very accurate tracking, certainly equatorial, for DS.

Fast frame (video mode) is another matter.

Olly

Olly's not wrong, but if you pick your targets carefully there are some viable DSOs for imaging with the Mak.  Mostly the brighter planetary nebulae and clusters.  You'd probably run out of targets potential reasonably quickly.  If you only want wide field DSO imaging then the Mak is the wrong scope, but combined with a DSLR, a decent lens and an EQ mount you get a lot of options.

James

"Seen them go for a lot less on ebay"

The one in question on ASBS is mine, and was priced at that simply as one on ebay sold for £186 +£14pp 5 minutes before I advertised mine, and I had no other pricing reference.

The az goto mount handles the 127 mak absolutely fine, and I use that set up with a neximage 5.

Oops, I do apologize.  :embarrassed: 

The one you mentioned that went for £186 was probably the one I was thinking, I must have miss read it on my phone and thought it went for £86.

So, I will apologize again and go and sit in the corner and be quiet. 

It is indeed.  Until four months ago all my imaging was done using just such a mount, with a few modifications.  Not only does that one have the motors, it also has a polar scope.

James

It is indeed.  Until four months ago all my imaging was done using just such a mount, with a few modifications.  Not only does that one have the motors, it also has a polar scope.

James

If I wasn't saving for a new car, I probably would have had a punt at that one myself.

This is currently on UKABS....http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=74422

I would like the OTA...You perhaps the mount. Maybe we can strike a deal with the vendor?

Steve

Hello everyone, thank you for the replies. The above looks good, is this essentially what I was looking for only this has a better mount (or more suitable). Are there downsides to going second hand on a goto mount etc?

I've a house full of sick kids at the minute, so my heads in a bit of a spin lol, I'll look over all the posts more clearly in the morning and try and decide what I'm doing, not that I've much of a clue what I'm doing anyway as you can tell. Ideally I want a goto for my mak that's simple to use, that my kids can use eventually and that can take some nice shots within reason. I plan on a more substantial setup in the future, but sure don't we all.

Archived