Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed from Heritage 130p owners

Hi all, could someone please help me the with measurements of the Heritage 130p, I need the base (diameter and height ect, also does it dismantle) and the retracted tube measurement please. I need to know if it will fit into my motorcycle back box, Thanks to all in advance.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OTA can be removed from the dovetail  by hand, no tools needed, therefore it is very easy to separate the mount and OTA.  Seeing you could not have timed the question better as I was just measuring up some curtain rails whilst the heritage was sitting there I measured it up,  I left a little room and rounded up, so they are not to the nearest millimeter

OTA 23cm x 41cm and if you leave the red dot finder screwed on that becomes 27cm x 41cm.

The mount comes to 35 cm x 45 cm.

The whole scope left in one piece, 53cm x 35cm assuming the scope is with the tube pushed in.

You may also find this page useful

http://www.skywatcher.com/product.php?cat=6&id=57

Many thanks Alex for the quick response, that website also gave me the shipping dimensions (boxed) of 41x41x54 cm3 but it seems the OTA will fit but the base will not without dismantling the upright first. Does the upright unscrew from the "lazy susan" part?

You could also buy a tripod alt-z mount for the heritage, it should work great with it no doubt. I think one of our members here I know of does this I think ( Naemeth) .  It will cost extra of course, but this is what some do when transporting this scope on a bike.  Perhaps he'll comment  a bit more on how practical that is.

Someone on here posted he/she takes the base appart for transport; Though it does fit into a large-ish backpack if that is an option.

I doubt a alt-az mount plus tripod will be more compact, though I do have the Celestron Nexstar SLT here now and if you build a different tripod/base it may be compact enough, so who knows - a az3/4 may fit too?

The bottom center bolt can be removed, though it has a self securing nut;

I wastzoo lazy to get tools; There are screw heads visible under the baseplate, but you'll have to remove the bottom first.

Of yourse you could drill a few holes to reduce the whole dissasembly... :-)

The bottom center bolt can be removed, though it has a self securing nut;

I wastzoo lazy to get tools; There are screw heads visible under the baseplate, but you'll have to remove the bottom first.

Of yourse you could drill a few holes to reduce the whole dissasembly... :-)

Any chance you could post a picture of it please. Thanks.

Perhaps someone has taken it appart and can post further details;

I have no clue how well the parts handle the unscrewing;

Worst case scenario would be that you'd have to fit some threadings.

A 4" Mak fits on a photo tripod, but the 130mm is really an improvement, if you can transport it, it's defiantly worth it, especially as it offers wide field views even with 1.25" eyepieces...

Well looking at the pics you sent they look like crosshead screws and the idea of drilling a hole large enough to get a screwdriver in without taking the base off sound champion. I will have to tinker with it when I pick it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I picked up the Heritage 130p today and as expected, the OTA fit into my motorbike helmet box no problem but the base will not without some modification or being flat packed. Also whilst we are here does anyone have pictures or links to any modifications to the Heritage 130p? I would be interested in a light shroud and any other ideas people may have. Thanks.

You could also buy a tripod alt-z mount for the heritage, it should work great with it no doubt. I think one of our members here I know of does this I think ( Naemeth) .  It will cost extra of course, but this is what some do when transporting this scope on a bike.  Perhaps he'll comment  a bit more on how practical that is.

Indeed, I use an AZ-4 when I use my Heritage.

Just trying to find where I posted about my light shroud...

All I did was use some A4 neoprene black foam, wrapped it around the inside and stuck it on with selotape, then cut a hole for the secondary mirror.

(EDIT: Found this after a while searching - I don't think I made a topic on it, just briefly mentioned it.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188929-thoughts-on-a-heritage-130p-light-shroud/)

Oh, you will almost definitely need a wrench to dismantle the base, I can try tomorrow if you'd like.

Well after dismantling the dob base the whole scope will still not fit into my helmet box :mad: so I have decided to buy a bungee cargo net and strap the dob base to the helmet box instead. :grin:  What is that neoprene stuff like Naemeth? is it just foam or rubberised fabric?

Well after dismantling the dob base the whole scope will still not fit into my helmet box :mad: so I have decided to buy a bungee cargo net and strap the dob base to the helmet box instead. :grin:  What is that neoprene stuff like Naemeth? is it just foam or rubberised fabric?

It's just this:

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-fab-foam-sheet-in-black/565433-1000

If you're going to transport a dob of any sort by bike, expect to have to collimate it regularly, as the vibrations will affect the mirror alignment. That said, I collected my kid's 130 on my bike and it was fine when I got it home - about a 20 mile journey. That was in its normal packaging and I just bungied it to the back of my bike - at the time a rather elderly BMW R850GS. Since replaced by a R1150GS Adventure :grin: If you've got a big (ish) bike taking it out in the original packaging might be the best bet, as it'll hold it steady in the polystyrene packaging. Just wrap it in a couple of bin bags or something to keep it all dry.

What in the world made you think the base of the Heritage would fit in a motorbike helmet box?.Maybe if you got your hands on the "box" that pizza delivery people use (12-16")...........you might have a chance. I just feel that no matter what you do,the Heritage is not designed to travel by bike. 

Archived