SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

Have to agree with the above sentiments.

Just one thing I see from various members signatures that some belong to user and/or area groups. Where can I find details of these.

Thanks.

We're glad you're enjoying the site :icon_eek:

For area groups etc, if you click on the Community section on the top blue bar you'll see an option for Social Groups, click on that and you'll see all the groups.

HTH

Helen

I absolutely love this site - being a newbie with a scope this place is my first point of call to look up information to help me out or to post a question, and I always get a good helpful response and the responses have helped out no end.

And I also agree, that the welcome I got when I first joined was very nice!

hi dont know if anyone will read ,its my first time in here.i get my first on monday 17th the Skywatcher AZ GOTO 130p never had one before and have not a clue how to uses it,any help would be apreciated no doubt i will need it.can anyone tell me how good the images are with this scopes like plants ect i live on the wirral thanks

This is a very useful site and I find myself spending more and more time browsing it. As an inexperienced star-gazer there is so much to learn. Books take you so far but you can't beat the experience of the seasoned star-gazers that visit this site. Thankyou to all the people that have answered my questions in the past (and also to all those who may answer my sometimes inane questions in the future). Keep up the good work SGL!

As a newcommer to astronomy, this site has been essential. It is the best board for any topic that I have ever used.

What i would be interested in is a list of Uk astonomy events (if there such a thing) or clubs where I could meet people with the same interests.

I haven't a clue what I'm doing!

I am new to astronomy and would very much appreciate advice on what telescope I should purchase...

Hi Twinkles welcome to SGL.. more people are likely to see your question if you post it help and advice section... Thsi part of the forum is where peopel express there views on the forum and tenbds not to get read that often by most members...

Give an idea of the budget and I am sure you will get plenty of advice :)

Perhaps one of the mods would move or copy the post for you

Billy....

Hi Twinkles welcome to SGL.. more people are likely to see your question if you post it help and advice section... Thsi part of the forum is where peopel express there views on the forum and tenbds not to get read that often by most members...

Give an idea of the budget and I am sure you will get plenty of advice :)

Perhaps one of the mods would move or copy the post for you

Billy....

I've copied your question to here twinkles :) and if you add a few more details about what sort of thing you want, you'll get lots of good advice :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/126224-newcomers-feedback-scope-advice-needed.html#post1653719

Helen

I've only been registered on this site for three months - here, no one is looked down on for using MkI eyeballs. I probably see more targets walking to work than when I've dragged the scope out.

It's just a case of 'get out there', weather permitting. You can even have a moan when it does not.

Some of the beginners sketches are amazing. I can't draw anything apart from a schematic diagram of how something is supposed to be...

Newcomers feedback - still cant find an up-to-date glossary of terms, especially for imaging, the gloss' i found was dated 2005 and doesnt have the words 'dark' or 'frame' in it - doh! HELP:icon_scratch::D

Edited by Photohound

Newcomers feedback - still cant find an up-to-date glossary of terms, especially for imaging, the gloss' i found was dated 2005 and doesnt have the words 'dark' or 'frame' in it - doh! HELP:icon_scratch::)

The glossary of terms is there - it was based on astronomy not astroimaging, so it is quite possible that there are a number of missing terms.

The Astropedia was setup (AstroPedia) so that it could be a complete wiki of every term to do with astronomy, observing and imaging etc.

But very few people were interested in contributing and it got left to a few of us to maintain - and to be honest what with other stuff going on hasn't been updated for a while.

If you search "Dark Frame" using the SGL search feature you'll find loads of explanations.

Cheers

Ant

I have to say this is one of the best forums I have ever been on. Everyone is very helpful and patient as I'm sure they have heard the same questions time and again. It's a great place to learn with a wealth of high quality articles and detailed posts.

My advice is don't fall into the trap of other astronomy forums and give lurkers a limit to the number of posts they can view. I always think forcing registration is rude to guests and just makes me want to look elsewhere, that is what attracted me to this forum. Plus don't the realise that all you need to do is hit the 'cached' link in Google? Doh!

Edited by kissinuk

That's only if you let google see the locked pages :p but you already knew that! ;), there is only two sections closed to non members.

The buy/sell section - you need 50 posts and 1 months membership for that. The other is the Lounge - thats non astronomy so doesn't count!

Thank you all for the kind words! It really does make it worth while.

Ant

This is a fantastic forum and all the members are very curtious and very helpful

The longer members never seem to get tired of answering the same newbi questions over and over again !

I myself have had so very good advice here and no matter how stupid or simple my questions have been I have not been ridiculed .

So I'd like to say a big thanks to all Admin, moderators and members for my experience on this forum to date .

Richard

A really nice forum where people answer even the most simple and or daft questions without a hint of annoyance or "try the search button"

One thing I would like to see dropped a little is the amount of posts required to see the "for sale" section, I know this is there for some protection but for new starts it would be great to browse through

I am very glad I joined the forum, you can research lots of information about astronomy but being able to seek guidance and advice from people you have used various types of equipment is such a big help.

I was rather nervous about posting when I joined because I really don't know a great deal but when I did I was not made to feel like I was lacking in knowledge in anyway, I just received helpful and friendly advice.

Great site and great members :)

Ben