SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

hi i had the day off work yesterday so i could hang some wallpaper for my girlfriend whilst drinking my morning coffee i came across this site, i joined striaght away and then spent the whole day reading post's. such a great bunch of people and lot's of advise look's like i'll be hanging wallpaper on saturday now

great site keep up the good work

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have to admit , I've had the same initial feelings. Appearing in my backgarden with a set of binoculars for the first time had me thinking, my neighbours are going to think I'm loopy.

However I'm sure that will pass when I get my first scope.

On the topic of this thread feedback, this forum is superb, really friendly people who obviously thoroughly enjoy Astronomy. There is a wealth of info on here which is priceless.:)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I too have only been here a couple of days, and am please with the warm welcomes and the masses of information I have stumbled upon just browzing the forumses.

A suggestion (probably already been made), FAQs for each section, so that a newbie/beginner/progressor may study the answers without having to cause folk to repeat themselves.

Naturally, there will always be many many questions anyway, but these may be more specific as the general ones would be already stored.

Anyhoo, so glad I stumbled upon SGL.

A formulas sticky with a glossary would be nice. I honestly didn't know what a DSO was until I google'd it. Formulas for calculating magnification, eye relief and whatnot would be handy.

Love the site! Not sure if I joined the right forum as most of you seem to be from the UK, and I'm from the States. Doesn't really matter as we're looking at the same stars. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I joined after getting bitten by the bug at the Salisbury Star Party. I love the help and encouragement the members provide. I would recommend everyone to attend one of the star parties as they are eye-opening and it is great to meet people in the flesh and put faces to some of the names in here. Also you learn a lot and get to look through other kinds of equipment in a supportive and friendly atmosphere.

AlexF - You have definitely joined the right forum. SGL is truly International when it comes down to membership, there are members from all over the world, some of the moderators are from outside of the UK so please don't feel you are in the wrong place..In the grander scheme of things we are all only a stone's throw away from each other, all sharing a common interest, enjoy the forum and remember the only silly question is the one you never asked. All the best and clear skies

Carl

PS. Welcome to SGL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Only joined recently,but as a total newcomer i thought i would echo many of the above...

GREAT site.

Have spent endless hours reading through the various topics,picking up little bits of info here and there..

The end result,Which really stands as testiment to the admins and members-Is that every time i click the bookmark for this site-My enthusiasm skyrockets.

Seeing what others have achieved,and reading the excellent obs reports is truly inspirational.

The learning curve is steep-But is made much more digestable by the helpful folk's right here.

I for one,would like to say "thank you!"

• 2 weeks later...

this is 1 hell of an amazing forum iv learnt so much in so little time theres so many nice + smart people on this forum you can get your questions asked in no time theres someone that will always know how to answer a question your asking im glad that iv signed up to this forum :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

:hello2: A really useful, helpful and friendly forum - one of those that makes the Internet a good place to be. I have found most of the answers I was looking for simply by searching the threads and hence not posted many questions myself. One of the great things is that posters are very clear about whether they are stating fact or expressing a personal opinion - very useful for us newcomers about to leap into the unknown.

:icon_eek: I agree with AlexF that a glossary full of terms, abbreviations and TLAs would be very useful to us newcomers who don't know about DSOs, OTAs and POWs (or should that be PsOW?) without having to go off to Google or Wikipedia to find out. I have used a couple of technical forums (e.g ControlBooth) where the system automatically creates hyperlinks when a post contains any keyword in the glossary (on phpBB using a plug-in). If vBulletin has a similar feature or plugin available then I think this would be a very useful addition for beginners.

These forums are brilliant! I don't post much at all and I'm still fairly new here, but I do browse the posts a lot and they've definitely helped!

I really want to get into astronomy but I think it's going to be something I will get into after christmas and new year. When the nights are a little warmer and I have more money to spend out on some gear.

For now I'm content just learning from you guys, as I said - I don't post much, but I thank the ones who posting lots of information as I am learning!

• 2 weeks later...

I found this site just before buying my first scope and was pleased I did.

It's the brilliant people who contribute that make it the success it is, and thanks to the hosts that make it possble.

I think the threads could be tidied up a bit - there are loads of similar threads that could be put into the same folder - e.g. a folder for all threads that are about "what first scope should I buy"

I like the idea previously posted above about a mobile version of the site too.

The site is much more than just advice though, and I like the threads that are just about daft things like "What's the weather like where you are" - feels like a community.

Keep up the good work everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I've looked at a number of Astronomy forums.

I feel SGL is much easier to navigate in comparison due to the logical way it is set out.

I think this is probably the reason for the speed of responses when someone asks for advice.

Edited by phattanglo

Before I found this forum, I asked a question on another one which evoked this response from one of its members:

"What are you posting this here for?" "There's a place for that sort of question, so I suggest you look before posting in the wrong place."

I told the person to learn some manners and cordiality, and if he was representative of the members on that forum, then I did not wish to be part of it.

Each one of us here is a representative of Stargazers Lounge; how one of us behaves reflects on us all. Thank god we all behave in a warm, friendly and civilised manner, and long may it remain so.

Edited by Eyeball

• 1 month later...

My feedback, overall, I think this is the best of the bunch with regards astronomy forums, I always do my homework when going into something and astronomy was no exception, also, being highly computer literate and a veteran of all things online, even back to sysoping an Amiga BBS before the net existed, I also check out online facilities, I chose to make SGL my home for a good reason ;o)

However (yes, there's always one of those)

being technical myself (all things computer) I know it's easy to revert to tech speak even when talking to inexperienced people, is there any chance the more experienced guys could add in brackets from time to time some of the things you naturally take for granted that people know, prime example M31, or NGC 224 could you sometimes add (Andromeda Galaxy) onto the m and NGC numbers as it helps the learning curve quite a bit, also even things like the parts of a telescope mount that are regularly abbreviated. Have to say though that's the only thing, OH, except, can people start comin in a bit more often and posting, I keep running out of things to read!

I also still need to know why it is that so many people in astronomy, especially shops etc sound like geography teachers.

Edited by TopHouse