Narrowband

Newcomers Feedback

I have only been here a short while and I have arthritits, I typo frequently and need to edit posts regularly.

Why on earth do you force newbies to post 250  times before they =cam edit?

No other forum does that and th einhabitants here seem reasonably intelligent and well mannered enough that editing a post would not be a problem.

Daft rule.

• Like 1

I have only been here a short while and I have arthritits, I typo frequently and need to edit posts regularly.

No other forum does that and th einhabitants here seem reasonably intelligent and well mannered enough that editing a post would not be a problem.

Daft rule.

Hello Jefrs, Sorry to hear of your problems with arthritis and your need edit (although we all make frequent mistakes). If you click the "more options" button at the bottom of your post before sending it, you will see a "preview post" option which may help.

The reason for the restriction in editing is because there were many people abusing this option, posting inflamatory/rude posts and deleting them before they could be brought to admins attention. We hope by the time someone reaches 250 posts they have proven themselvess to be serious about obeying the forum code of conduct.

Nobody really cares too much about some spelling mistakes, and if you type something that is wrong (eg "I do care" instead of "I do NOT care") contact a moderator and we'll sort it for you.

Thank you for your understanding

I was  wondering where to post my thoughts  on this  forum. I agree  with one  post, where  it was  said  that they asked  for  help and  the  response  was  rude and  discouraging.  NOT so here.

That doesn't mean that I feel lost still and  that I have  been lurking for  a  while  after  joining. The  amount of  information both given, and  shared here, is  overwhelming, but also very educational.

As  I have  said  before  I only have  binoculars. I have  owned telescopes in the  past and  found  the  whole  experience to be frustrating and  finally... pointless. SO ... that being said... I rely consistently, albeit silently on the  massive  amount of  entertaining and  educational information that is  ever  present here.

I seriously doubt that I will ever buy a  telescope  again, given my inability to operate them even remotely effectively, but this  does  not deter  me from enjoying my binoculars, and  in particular, the  shared  and  learned  experiences gained  from lurking here  at this  amazing forum.

Daft rule.

That's the only thing I don't like either. Otherwise it's a great forum!

• Like 1

Hello Jefrs, Sorry to hear of your problems with arthritis and your need edit (although we all make frequent mistakes). If you click the "more options" button at the bottom of your post before sending it, you will see a "preview post" option which may help.

The reason for the restriction in editing is because there were many people abusing this option, posting inflamatory/rude posts and deleting them before they could be brought to admins attention. We hope by the time someone reaches 250 posts they have proven themselvess to be serious about obeying the forum code of conduct.

Nobody really cares too much about some spelling mistakes, and if you type something that is wrong (eg "I do care" instead of "I do NOT care") contact a moderator and we'll sort it for you.

Thank you for your understanding

Thank you for rplying. I'm sad that you had those problems in the past but its seems the current inhabitants are perfectly polite. Imo is it now a silly rule.

Not a fan of the 250 posts before editing allowed policy.  But I see from what the mods say that if there have been previous problems it might help in those circumstances.

• Like 1

I also like the forum, and am not so much a fan of the lack of editing.  As a former mod on another forum though, I can see why it is done.  Although, if a post is edited before a mod sees it, then surely the self-editing is a good thing?  At least it means that posters are realising their mistakes and redacting it themselves.   Although I realise the mods cannot then give out warnings for offending posts, based on the word of another member.  However, if another member is so offended by a statement, they could quote the post for evidence, the OP cannot then edit another persons post.

My reason for liking to edit is that I often hit the "Post" button prematurely, and often miss out pertinent information, which I can usually go edit the post and add the info.  On the other hand, adding in an extra post has allowed me to reach the required 50 post count to view the classifieds a little earlier, so it's not all bad news.

jfrs, I feel your pain.  My spelling can often be terrible too.  I use google chrome as my browser though, with it's built-in spell checker, and if I make a mistake, it is highlighted (underlined in red), and easily rectified with a right-click on the mouse button and selecting what I had meant to write.  I'm sure most web browsers have this feature, whether it is disabled or not I wouldn't know.

50 posts might be a bit high to be able to see the classifieds IMO.  25 seems more reasonable to me.  I'm guessing it is to prevent spam posts in the classifieds, but it just encourages it elsewhere in the forum, as evidenced above me.  And to have this rule, coupled with the lounge posts not counting towards post count, means the spam is in relatively more important parts of the forum.

Beyond that, the website seems fine.  And the information, both already on, or offered in help, appears to be first rate.

Might want to be careful...post count spamming is against the SGL code of conduct.They can reset your post count.

It does not take to long to hit 50 at all. and 250 for me was a long time ago. don't worry, everyone gets there in the end.

• Like 3

I also like the forum, and am not so much a fan of the lack of editing.  As a former mod on another forum though, I can see why it is done.  Although, if a post is edited before a mod sees it, then surely the self-editing is a good thing?  At least it means that posters are realising their mistakes and redacting it themselves.   Although I realise the mods cannot then give out warnings for offending posts, based on the word of another member.  However, if another member is so offended by a statement, they could quote the post for evidence, the OP cannot then edit another persons post.

My reason for liking to edit is that I often hit the "Post" button prematurely, and often miss out pertinent information, which I can usually go edit the post and add the info.  On the other hand, adding in an extra post has allowed me to reach the required 50 post count to view the classifieds a little earlier, so it's not all bad news.

jfrs, I feel your pain.  My spelling can often be terrible too.  I use google chrome as my browser though, with it's built-in spell checker, and if I make a mistake, it is highlighted (underlined in red), and easily rectified with a right-click on the mouse button and selecting what I had meant to write.  I'm sure most web browsers have this feature, whether it is disabled or not I wouldn't know.

50 posts might be a bit high to be able to see the classifieds IMO.  25 seems more reasonable to me.  I'm guessing it is to prevent spam posts in the classifieds, but it just encourages it elsewhere in the forum, as evidenced above me.  And to have this rule, coupled with the lounge posts not counting towards post count, means the spam is in relatively more important parts of the forum.

Beyond that, the website seems fine.  And the information, both already on, or offered in help, appears to be first rate.

My spelling is pretty good. My professional work often involved writing reports as technical author but you get a proof-reader with that. I'm also married to an english teacher. Problem is my fingerts are dyslexic now, I can barely type: osteoarthritis in every single joint and spondylitis in the bits that aren't joints. Strangely, a good work out on the guitar improves things. I use Firefox and have a spelling checker running but I probably have twice the vocabulary of its lexicon. Bless Noah Webster for he was truly dyslexic.

I too will hit post and then realise I've made a pig's breakfast of it: I can easily type numbers in reverse, or say "can" when I meant "cannot" (rather significant).

Ho-hum, until we get accepted as grown-ups I guess I'll just have to make another post and another post to correct stuff as corrigenda.

I seem to have the happy knack (to borrow a phrase from Jane Austen) of being unable to make known that I'm being jocular rather than sarcastic or sneering (so I'm told).

I've been advised to use emoticons to elucidate my prose.

Sadly my emoticons seem to be absent on my smartphone without going to full version.

Maybe I should take the trouble to learn html.

:;)

I seem to have the happy knack (to borrow a phrase from Jane Austen) of being unable to make known that I'm being jocular rather than sarcastic or sneering (so I'm told).

Yes that is often an issue with text based communication, I am surprised that being a mod of another large astro forum you haven't come across it before.

I've been advised to use emoticons to elucidate my prose.

Sadly my emoticons seem to be absent on my smartphone without going to full version.

Maybe I should take the trouble to learn html.

:;)

You don't need to learn HTML. Just these two : ) put together without spaces give you :)

Happy days :D

Ant

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Daft rule.

I have a way around that. Microsoft Works has a word processor. Create a desktop icon to it, and type your message there. It spell checks and you can edit all you like. When you're happy with what you've written, cut and paste it onto SGL.

So far everyone has been very friendly and informative, exactly what a newbie needs.

Very frustrating that I can't buy used items until I reach 50 posts. I can understand when it comes to listing items but buying seems excessive...