SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

Hi, great site, only just joined. How about having a Review Page, where equipment, especially Scopes could be reviewed.

Viewing quality

Value for money

Or a list of the best buys for

£300

£400

£500

£600

£700

£800

£1000

Also what the equivalent of smaller aperture Cassegrain is in comparison with a larger Aperture Newtonian of the same price.

There is so much to choose from these days, the beginner can be quite bogged down with what a telescope of various apertures & designs have to offer for a similar price.

Geoff

• Like 3

i still have a slight feeling of "sneaking around" in my own back garden after dark with binos (and now a telescope, although that's obviously less suited to sneaking), and a "whatever will the neighbours think?" type thing going on in my head.

I fell off a wall (only about 3' high) when looking for mercury a month or two ago, felt a bit stupid but didn't think anyone was wtching. Next day the bloke next came out and asked if I was OK... :oops:

I'm a bit selfconcious / nervy about setting my stuff up somewhere dark and isolated. anybody else get these reservations?

I don't feel self concious about setting up in public... but I would be a little carefull about going anywhere public on my own. Best to go in two's...

Ant

Hi, great site, only just joined. How about having a Review Page, where equipment, especially Scopes could be reviewed.

Viewing quality

Value for money

£300

£400

£500

£600

£700

£800

£1000

Also what the equivalent of smaller aperture Cassegrain is in comparison with a larger Aperture Newtonian of the same price.

There is so much to choose from these days, the beginner can be quite bogged down with what a telescope of various apertures & designs have to offer for a similar price.

Geoff

Geoff, we do have the reviews board where people do give their own opinions about kit they've bought, but as you say, there is so much to choose from that there is no one setup that will suit everyone. Even then, one man's brass is another man's gold if you catch my drift. So it's best to ask specific questions.

Tony..

• 2 weeks later...

Viewing quality

Value for money

£300

£400

£500

£600

£700

£800

£1000

Geoff

Couldn't agree more with the above. Or how about best 10 Scopes/Binos within each price range.

Also would love to see an idiots guide to equipment, you know what each bit of kit does, how it works, how to get best results etc. Being an idiot (in this field anyway) I would find this really useful.

Finally, I have found the advice/help provided really useful, the members on this forum seem to be informative and helpful.

Great site, keep up the good work.

• Like 1

First day as a member, first couple of posts. I am blown away by the help & advice I have already had. A forum is exactly what the members make it; this one is fantastic. Thanks a million.

Suggestions:

1. Every new member gets a free telescope (make mine a 10" RC)

2. Cheeky new members get their heads kicked in

3. Absolutely nothing - it's great as it is

Rick

I Have come over to SGL form "another place" and prefer it here :hello2:

Like the segmentation of the forum so that your posts are being read by like minded individuals with the same interests so you don't get the usual carping...

Only been at this imaging lark really since Christmas and the quality and quantity of images posted here and advice from the more experienced guys is second to none. Also like the primers...

Hopefully here to stay :clouds1:

Billy...

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really good place to have any questions answered by passionate people who know what their talking about. They don't moan at newbie questions that have been posted thousands of times and seem to have endless patience (unlike me). I am not that new to astronomy, having loved it all my life. Got a grade B in Astronomy GCSE a few weeks back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd dump more praise but I'm sure admin is sick of it by now. I'd personally like to see a little more advice on eyepieces, ..as in reviews. Selecting them has to be the most important choice to must make (especially considering the prices!) short of the initial decision to purchase a scope. I know cloudy nights is out there and a couple of other sites, but the coverage is just so limited! I'm sure with as active of an audience as ours we could do better, couldn't we? Otherwise I'd have to say you're all just plain wonderful, even if you're mostly from the other side of the pond. Y'all are welcome to come gaze up from the Rocky Mountains anytime in my books!

I'd dump more praise but I'm sure admin is sick of it by now.

Nope, keep it coming :) . Thanks for the comments they are always good to hear!

I'd personally like to see a little more advice on eyepieces, ..as in reviews.

We are looking at the very subject at the moment. It is something that is on our list of things to get up and running. So watch this space :D

Cheers

Ant

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new member too, have been catching up on older post and learning from comments made from replies, what I know from those replies is that all questions are answered without snide comments or "by god not another clueless so and so from such and such". Hee hee!

What I'm trying to find here and hope to find it or maybe someone will post it after I've posted this, is a simple chart of the sky via naked eye in a town dwellers night. I've had some trouble trying to locate the constellations via other charts, because they have too many stars for me to be able to work out which is which, I'd like to have the same as I had seen here, or somewhere else about how to locate Saturn and Venus in dawn. A simple photograph. Hopefully someone will understand this drivel and point me to the right place.

Thanks for being the best.

StarLight.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be simply lost without SGL! I have so little confidence that without you guys I would struggle! You're always there to support me and I even receive pms from supportive people. You're also responsible for allowing me to meet Sir Patrick Moore which was a dream come true. I'm so overwhelmed by all the info that I have to take it in small, and very-rewarding, bites so cannot think of anything to improve the site. I've also made some wonderful friends.

Thank you SGL for everything! :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

Lotsa luv from Alexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Daz and Ant

Here's an idea that I think many "noobs" would appreciate as the question pops up frequently.

How about a list of all the local astronomy clubs/societies along with contact names & numbers, e-mail or web and dates & venues? I'm thinking about something similar to the BRCA website (top LH side "CLUBS")?

Another thing (and yes I know that this info is available elsewhere) would be a quick list of "The Sky" - rising and setting times for the planets / Moon and a location (even a simple W / SW / SE type of thing would do although RA & Dec would be better) for say 3 dates: 1st, 10th, 20th of the month.

HTH

Zaphod

BTW, I forgot to say what a great site it is and how helpful & friendly the members are. Looking forward to a long association with the site. Keep up the great work!

Z

• Like 1

Hi Z,

We realise that there is loads of information that is static that doesn't really sit well within a forum structure.

This is why we have created astropedia... if you follow the link below you'll see a big list of societies by county.

Or you can click on the astropedia button at the top of each page within SGL.

There is also a monthly guide board, which has monthly guides. I write these with help from Bill£... maybe that'll help.

I'll try and get the December one out soon...

Cheers

Ant

• Like 1

Great site.

Consistent well informed and quick replies to all questions.

Friendly Atmosphere.

Special mention to Steve at FLO for helping me out.

Special mention should be added to Management, Mods for making this forum as popular and well kept as it is.

It is a credit to you.

Davey.

• 2 weeks later...

In my very short time on this forum so far it's been awesome, all you have to do to get advice is just ask , There is always someone able to help in some way.. A very helpful forum indeed..

And lots of friendly people too...

Glad to be a part of it...

Regards Badgerjc....

Agreed. I feel quite at home, and have been given lots of advice, which I'm still digesting. Lots of friendly people here so far!

Dave

• 1 month later...