Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

A vast range of information and help, so very good.

2 silly questions though.

When some people reply to posts I often see the post they're replying to listed in the same box, how do you do that?

how do I put my age on my profile without my birth date?

A vast range of information and help, so very good.

2 silly questions though.

When some people reply to posts I often see the post they're replying to listed in the same box, how do you do that?

how do I put my age on my profile without my birth date?

To do this click the 'Quote' button which is in the bottom righthand corner of the post you want to quote, it will then appear in the reply box. Scroll to the bottom and add your own reply.

You can just enter your month and year of birth if you want, unfortunately you can't just enter the year.

HTH

Helen

• Like 1

To do this click the 'Quote' button which is in the bottom righthand corner of the post you want to quote, it will then appear in the reply box. Scroll to the bottom and add your own reply.

You can just enter your month and year of birth if you want, unfortunately you can't just enter the year.

HTH

Helen

Thanks Helen, easy when you know how.

• Like 1

Just a quick note to say that this appears to be a very friendly site. Questions seem to be answered almost instantly and having delved through a number of post and topics have not seen any evidence of snootiness, snobbishness or rudeness. Just friendliness, helpfulness and enthusiasticness (which I'm fairly sure is not a word but should be in this case).

Long may it continue.

PT

• Like 1

This has to be one of the friendliest forums on the web, I have other hobbies that I've had a long time and being a total newbie asking questions instead of answering them is a bit daunting on some sites but not here, The amount of knowledge given freely is staggering.

• Like 1

Been reading through this forum for a few weeks now,

Thinking i had so many questions to ask, But after reading i found all the answers i need.

All the members are more than willing to give advice and to share their experiences.

On a whole this forum is magic with a great group of members and well administered.

The best part is no-one if afraid to ask the silliest of questions no mater what their knowledge is.

keep up the hard work guys

Thanks

Stevie

Great site, keep up the good work folks. Have not seen a cross word anywhere.

Wish I could say the same for other forums lol http://www.landyzone...oss-124709.html

Thanks for the kind words, just for the record... If anyone spoke to anyone like that (including me) here, the admins would almost certainly ban that person. It goes against everything we strive for :)

Ant

As a newbie myself I have found this site to be invaluable, the members on the whole being friendly,witty and very knowledgeable

and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in astronomy.

Alan.

After my intial few posts i really havn't asked to many questions , this is because a lot have already been answerd on the forums lol.

I have learned such a lot from this site in the short time of beng on here.

Great site, great members keep up the good work .

Baz

Like this? http://www.astropedi...title=Main_Page

It is very much a work in progress... And I've not added to it much over the last *cough* year or so...

Ant

That's a very useful site Ant :)

For all the others I've been here over 5yrs now and still rate it up there amongst the best for information and friendliness. In particular our local observing group was formed on SGL which was instrumental in bringing us together - I'll always be very grateful for that. EMS is now 400 members strong covering four major counties with a regular 20-30 attendees at observing/imaging sessions when weather allows. All very friendly and enthusiastic folks who strive to help newbies and experienced alike.

Many of us still frequent SGL and offer help when appropriate (myself included) though we do have our own website now which has steadily grown for just over a year. You'll also find many of us at SGL events and other star parties and you're always welcome to pop over for a brew and a chat.

For now I felt it appropriate to recognise and say a BIG thanks to SGL - EMS probably wouldn't have happened with you :)

Edited by brantuk
  • Like 1

Because people come to astronomy at different times they need to ask questions that are pertinent to them at that time. Although there may be other similar questions that have been asked before it is not obvious where to find the answer even if you search. We have to bear this in mind when a similar question comes up - it is important to that person at that time. I love SGL because you will always find someone who will give you good advice no matter how often the question has been asked. As people grow more experienced they can then pass their knowledge onto the newer members asking those similar questions.

Simon

• Like 2

Im probably the newest member - as at 10th Feb 2013. This is my 2nd post!

The layout is very good and posts / comments very instructive and helpful. Thank you all SGL members.

With so much new equipment coming on the market I would love to see a roundup of 'this months latest new kit' with members comments such as 'advanced users', 'ideal for novice' etc.

Great Forum all.

regards

Ian

hi

everyone has been friendly and has given great advice . as a newcomer to astronomy it is so much to think about and very confusing . good to know that there are people happy to offer advice even if they see the same questions over and over again lol

colin

Great site, great community and very helpful members.

Can only echo Dave73s comments.

I rarely need to post as the information I require is readily available with a little bit of reading, the most important thing I've learnt is finding out how much I don't know :rolleyes:

Great site, well done to all contributors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I love this forum, i dont post that much but i use it every day. If i have any complaint it that i love looking at the photographs the are posted and i wish people would post the exposure times, camera ans scope so i can judge if its posable with my setup.

Having just joined the site (but been following it for the last couple of months), I think the friendliness and welcoming nature of the members is fantastic. The layout of the site is helpful and fairly intuitive and this makes it (relatively) easy to find any information that you're looking for.

I would also echo Ian's comment of:

With so much new equipment coming on the market I would love to see a roundup of 'this months latest new kit' with members comments such as 'advanced users', 'ideal for novice' etc.

But I realise that this is something that would take a lot of time.

• 2 weeks later...

As a new member I'm grateful for the advice given so far, I'm sure there are a lot if people in similar situations to myself and it may get a bit repetitive helping people to get started. Plenty if help so far! Hopefully I will be able to interact and in time might be the one doling out the words of wisdom!

Viva SGL

• Like 1