SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

Oh and we should be allowed to say pin [removed word] when describing a d.i.y. mod.

pin [removed word] - *1. *A slight puncture made by or as if by a pin.*2. *An insignificant wound.*3. *A minor annoyance.

Edited by kenmyers

more COLOUR compatibility with internet explorer 9. I can only use that browser. At the moment I have to click and drag to hilight text to read it, otherwise it is invisible. everything else is pretty cool.

down at the bottom of the page is a change theme link. It will give you an option of a standard theme for the software. This should work fine with IE9 (TBH this theme does work fine with my ie9), but be warned it's a tad on the bright side... Sun glasses may be required.

In answer to your other query, I agree that in the context you've used the word is fine. But we pride ourselves on being a family friendly forum and would rather that the forum software was a little over zealous than stuff get through that shouldn't.

cheers

ant

• Like 1

down at the bottom of the page is a change theme link. It will give you an option of a standard theme for the software. This should work fine with IE9 (TBH this theme does work fine with my ie9), but be warned it's a tad on the bright side... Sun glasses may be required.

br />

cheers

ant

Brilliant this theme works great for me. Bright is an understatement! haha. Thank you very much.

As a newcomer I am trying to accumulate equipment ( eyepieces, binos, tripods etc) but am frustrated I cannot access the classifieds.

I feel that on here I would find reputable sellers but am being driven towards the dodgy EBay and other sites that post warnings about scammers! Not encouraging!

I totally endorse the previous posts...The site is friendly and the advice is invaluable so please don't think I'm just a moaner.

• 4 weeks later...

I've only been observing a matter of months but my collection and observing time has exploded exponentially! This forum has given me many answers I otherwise would have just given up on by now! Thanks for all the friendly help & advice, no matter how stupid the question!

if you have just joined this forum - congratulations you have just made a great decision!! :hello2:

most sports and pass-times have a 'boss' forum - and for astonomy/astrophotography - this is it!! :headbang:

the members are really nice, really helpful, really experienced and exceptionally well informed :icon_scratch:

since I joined as a newbie a couple of months ago - the members have saved me a lot of money and wasted time and effort :clock:

its also great to share yopu trials and tribulations with other newbies as well - lots of others will have made the same mistakes :BangHead:

you always get an answer to direct questions - and that is a very fast way to learn - this will save you hours of web-searching and book-reading :confused2:

one of my best deicisons - and as you will find out - also one of yours :iamwithstupid:

cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a newcomer I am trying to accumulate equipment ( eyepieces, binos, tripods etc) but am frustrated I cannot access the classifieds.

I feel that on here I would find reputable sellers but am being driven towards the dodgy EBay and other sites that post warnings about scammers! Not encouraging!

I totally endorse the previous posts...The site is friendly and the advice is invaluable so please don't think I'm just a moaner.

You may have more posts since this one but, you get to the classifieds by reaching 50 posts. Apologies if u already know that. :smiley:

Great site, great help...you usually find answers to almost every question in here.

Silly question, on what basis a member is given a celestial object?

Go to the welcome section (first one at the top of main page) & the 2nd post down explains the ranks & points required to reach them.

Steve

I am rather new to this site and absolutely can't get enough. I find myself checking what's new once or twice a day. I'm always looking to learn more about astronomy and what's out there and I know this is the place to be for help with that.

Also I've asked a few questions on here and have had what feels like instant answers/help which is great!

I can't praise this site enough and would suggest it to anyone interested in astronomy!

So 10/10 from me!

Thanks to you all!

Chris :grin:

The Google Earth application has a light pollution overlay as standard now (Gallery -> NASA -> Earth City Lights). Its certainly not down to individual street level, but it does give a good overview of where the best/worst places are.

I see you posted this a while ago, but as newbie on this site I just saw it. Brilliant - thank you :smiley:

Many thanks to the people who run and maintain this forum. It is great to have such an active forum, especially for those of us new to astronomy.

However, the first thing I noticed is that there are too many forums. Consider imaging for example. There is an imaging section under beginners, then equipment, then a whole imaging section with 9 more forums. That is a possible 11 forums you have to post your question on. It also means that it can take a while to check every forum to see if something either takes your interest or if you have something to add to the discussion.

One feature I would like to see, is something I have seen on other forums. If you hover your pointer over a topic, the first few lines pop up. This is useful if someone has an ambiguous thread title and means you don't have to open every single thread to know what it is about.

Thinking more about what I said in the previous post, have you ever considered a SGL wiki?

Looking through a lot of posts, there are gems buried in these forums. I have been looking at an entry level webcam and see that it is very common question in both beginners imaging and equipment. Some posters have taken a lot of time and effort to write comparisons, while others have produced detailed guides for modding cheap webcams. Putting these articles together in one structured place would be a great help.

At the back of my mind, I'm picturing a page for each model of telescope/camera/webcam etc. For example I have a tracking issue with my GoTo scope. I think it might be power related, so I need to have a decent session experimenting. It would be great to have a place to do a write up of what I have found and hopefully help others in the future. Being community maintained, the site owners should only have to create the basic title page structures, then leave it up to members to fill in the content.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the site. really friendly crowd, loads of experience shared and it doesn't matter to the long term near professional stargazers what dull noob question you ask like i have been lol

From coming onto this site I've managed to glean enough info in a week to make me buy a set up i would never have dreamed of before thinking i couldn't use such a good bit of kit. But thanks to everyone i feel much more confident in what I've bought even if i won't be able to use it probably until my ankle heals.

This is the best site for all items related to stargazing, the admin team must be praised, the people on here are all friendly and are willing to offer advice to anyone even if they ask stupid questions (I know I asked 1), I have only been on the site for 1 week and made some great friends. Keep up the good work.

John.

• Like 1