Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

i was wondering if every 1 on here has had something slipped into there tea because i haven't meet a more friendly helpful group of people in all walks of life ,no 1 is or has been judgemental or patronising even when i ask the most ridiculously stupid question over and over due 2 not understanding it even though it cant be put simpler lol, i have my 1st meet with astronomy club soon but besides that its been a lonly passion but now i look forward 2 comming home to learn and look at the wonders this hobby /people bring.so many thanks the admin flo and the general astronomer for putting up and teaching me 50 out of ten is what i score u.

the only problem i have is b4 i found this site i knew what scope etc. i wanted know i am utterly confused (im bad at decision making at the best of times) due to all the infomation i cant process lol many thanks again for a superb job keep it up!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

since i have used this site for a few weeks now and purchased my scope from recommendations from it to couldn't be happier im not sure if there is already but a list of things to see would be great like what time planets were and how to find them,as i am a newbi this might be here or not worthwhile,keep up the good work no other hobby/passion/addiction (lol) could you get this much help and info so quickly and friendly thanks sam.

since i have used this site for a few weeks now and purchased my scope from recommendations from it to couldn't be happier im not sure if there is already but a list of things to see would be great like what time planets were and how to find them,as i am a newbi this might be here or not worthwhile,keep up the good work no other hobby/passion/addiction (lol) could you get this much help and info so quickly and friendly thanks sam.

We're pleased you've found SGL so friendly and helpful :grin:

Have you tried downloading Stellarium http://www.stellarium.org/ Once you have set your location it will show you what you can see. Also on this site http://www.skyandtelescope.com/ you'll see boxes on the lefthand side for interactive sky chart, and this week's sky.

HTH

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Also a newbie of a few days. Loving the forum and overwhelmed by the helpful members.

Glad I signed up.

Out of interest, will there ever be an option to "Edit" the posts we make?

Thanks for a wonderful forum,

Simon

I'm new here also and so far my feedback would be to keep things going along as they already are, you have a great community here.

I'm sure there's things or ways of doing things that could be better and if anything jumps out at me I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts.

Keep it up though, great site!

Hi,

Also a newbie of a few days. Loving the forum and overwhelmed by the helpful members.

Glad I signed up.

Out of interest, will there ever be an option to "Edit" the posts we make?

Thanks for a wonderful forum,

Simon

Glad you're enjoying the forum Simon :smiley: Unfortunately (because of a problem with a few members' abusing it) we've disabled the edit functionality. If there is anything major wrong with a post please just send a message to a moderator and they'll be happy to edit for you :smiley:

Helen

Makes sense.

That's fine. Hopefully I will notice any dodgy speeling and gramer before I post it. ;-)

Glad to be a member.

Still in awe. Probably won't ever stop being in awe either.

Si

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh I cant think how this site would be improved at all- its terrific by all accounts. Ive asked a few qs so far and was v pleased to see numerous replies within a few hours: a healthy site full of vibrancy (unlike many that seem half asleep/ populated by night-straglers only!). Im very pleased to have found it- led me to all sorts of places, sites.

Very grateful to those who run it/ keep it oiled and running..

Wow, what an amazing site. This is a powerful resource for a newb like myself - thank you!

Have you ever thought of having a place for members to keep their observing notes/journal online? (maybe there is already and I'm being dumb)

Only joined last week and I already feel I know so much more by reading the posts. I had an idea of the scope I was going to buy and already realise I would be better waiting for a bigger scope or buying second hand. Thanks to everyone for the advice and look forward to learning more!

Hi. Recently joined, and posted a question.

Within a day had 7 answers, all of which were very helpful and friendly. No hint of impatience with a noobie!

Nice to know that even the daftest-seeming question can be presented without ridicule.

The knowledge base is huge and tangible, and access to this can only enhance the hobby.

Many thanks to all, a great site !

hi, I think I'm the same as most, very new, very inexperienced and daunted by the level of technical detail and choice that's out there but the site itself has been a Godsend, providing information and explanations that even I can understand (most of the time) and I have been given some very useful advice, so thanks to all, it's still going to take a lot of research but slowly and surely I think I'm beginning to get my head around this...by the way...you look through the small, eyepiece thingy...don't you...? :)

Brilliant site - you can learn an awful lot here BEFORE making your first purchase.

A golden nugget for me was to go and get a star atlas/map and a planisphere - take out some bins and find my way around the sky.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. It may be a while before I purchase a scope but at least when i do I'll know my way around the night sky (I hope)!

Having been a member of different internet communities (mostly related to cars and online games) I can say for a fact that this is the friendliest community by far. This place is a shining example of how a "good" forum should be.

I have just joined and agree with all that has been said. Very friendly place and none of that " Do a search" or "read the flaming manual " stuff so prevalent on other forums. Well done to the guys that run it.

Being a newbie as of today I just want to say a Huge Thankyou for everyone who responded and advice and links given, Unfortunately I have about a weeks wait for my first Telescope :embarrassed:. However I am trolling through posts and picking up awesome tips and learning new things. I am am so grateful to this site and members for the welcome and not being made to feel put down and dumb because I am new to astronomy. Thankyou for having me and allowing me to have a fantastic first time experience.

Kind Regards and Clear Skys ! :grin:

Jeriah

only my 2nd day on here, and i am loving it, plenty to read and good pix, maybe some videos showing you how to do stuff.

i am still finding my way around, but its far better than other sites ive been looking at, very helpfull

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...