SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

Fantastic resource for all levels of experience. I also thought 50 posts was a bit excessive as reading through I see most things already covered. I feel I'm totally unqualified to give any sort of opinion or advice and so I think I'm going to struggle to reach that post limit anytime soon.

I read and understand your reasons though so I'll probably end up buying from some other site as I'm 95% sure what Telescope I want.

Like I said though, apart from that the site is awesome.

Mel

I have found SGL to be exceptionally friendly, informative and well operated.

I am member of the CN forum, but have had a lack of access since they did some work on the servers and needed a “fix" badly. No, I was not booted; it is some issue with software/connection?? and they are trying to figure it out.

In the meanwhile I have enjoyed the ambiance here so much; I decided to dive in, now I am “hooked" on SGL.

I will continue to visit at CN, but see this site as home for info, ideas and discussions.

One thing that will draw me back to CN (possible suggestion) is they have specific areas for brands/types of scopes, (like one I own). This helps reduce the searching for items relating to things relevant to my viewing needs.

Other than that item, I found little (if any) fault (other than I get logged out of SGL after about 5 minutes of inactivity, just me?, happened again) or possible suggestions for improvement. Good job to all.

Peace

Thanks for nice the feedback Backscatter. You're very welcome here :)

When you log in - click on the "remember me" box next to Login/Pasword. Then you'll stay logged in all the time :o

I appreciate that, and ...um.;).......thanks for the....tip.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Great forum. Very helpful friendly bunch of folks. Not at all cliqueylike some other forums I have frequented. Have already spent many enjoyable hours here reading through old threads trying to learn as much as possible.

I can only add my agreement to the other comments here.

Less than half a day after joining, someone had already offered to loan me a modded webcam to see if I wanted to go down the imaging path.

Very helpful and friendly people.

been here while but i learn something new everyday via sgl, and if am not sure about some thing,i can pop it on sgl and with in a short space of time i would have 10/20 answers to my problem i would love the mods to have a sgl youtube channel with video on how to set things up eqs ect andhow to use sofware like dss and registax ,yes yes i no theres a million videos out there but would be great if we had a one stop shop so every one could view because its ok some times reading a answer to a problem doing it is another,a video would be great

A small pointer - just something I would like to see is when clicking on a link, it opens in a new tab or window, may seem feeble but it's the way I normally work

David

This may be due to your web browser settings etc as whenever I click on a link it does open in a new tab in my browser.

Skiddins

• 4 weeks later...

Been on here a couple of months now and in that time the help has been superb I've had great advice that led me to buying a dob and its the best descision I've made. Any questions I have regarding eyepieces or problems viewing or any other mundane thing that the more experienced members must hear a thousand times gets answered pretty much straight away so thanks for all the help and here's to a thousand more questions :)

I've also been here now a couple of months, and have to say I think it's a great forum, really welcoming and friendly.

Previously I've tended to be more a lurker than poster on forums, and have often been put off by cliquey attitudes and reading sharp unhelpful answers to new posters' questions when not asked in exactly the "right" way. But I have to say, I've seen none of that here, everyone really is incredibly helpful, and I still find it quite amazing how much time a lot of members take responding and explaining, even when the question may have been asked many times already. I do think there's a definite feeling of community here, and it's so nice to have somewhere to come to share my enthusiasm for my new hobby, so I don't have to drive my friends and family crazy !!

And definitely over the last couple of months, if there's been something I've wanted to know, 9 times out of 10 I will find the answer from searching previous posts, to the point I've pretty much stopped using Google as my first port of call and just come straight here... lol mainly because even when I do use Google, you can guarantee it'll be a stargazer thread that's right up the top of the results anyway !!

So big thumbs up from me :smiley::hello2::)

• 2 weeks later...

Since I joined this site I have found it an invaluable source of information. However, if there's something I can't find, or is hidden in the depths of previous threads, I post a question and usually get at least 5 responses within the hour. Not only are the responses friendly they answer me in a non patronising way.

The best astronomy site on the web bar non!

One thing I would change is the 50 post limit to get to buy and sell. I understand why it's there, but newbies are some of the people who would benefit most from 2nd hand gear. If I want to go there I'm left with the options of waiting until I hit 50 posts organically, or shamelessly spamming to get to my 50.

I've found SGL very helpful both from the advice and the ability to buy second hand gear from trustworthy folk. It was well worth the wait to get 50 posts although it was a strain so, young SplintUK, hang on, just another ten to go.

Absolutely, I love this place and have had lots of good advice (still debating quattro vs 200pds in another forum for my second scope) but the aim of this particular thread must be to garner new suggestions from newbies who come here with fresh eyes otherwise it would just people saying how great sgl is. It is great btw. I love you guys.

I just feel it's my duty to challenge the status quo and see I can't help it be even better.

Like i say it's a great resource for us all and I love it here.

Only been a member a very short time but what ive seen so far coupled with a great welcome its nothing short of perfect...

keep up the great work and thankyou ......cheers Paul.:)

One thing I would change is the 50 post limit to get to buy and sell. I understand why it's there, but newbies are some of the people who would benefit most from 2nd hand gear. If I want to go there I'm left with the options of waiting until I hit 50 posts organically, or shamelessly spamming to get to my 50.

I totally agree, as a beginner I need all the help I can get in getting equipment. Also there is so much info already it’s hard to ask original questions. This site is just far too good! I think I might understand why there is a 50 post min, but aren’t new people to astronomy more likely to want to buy equipment?

This is a fantastic site and I’ve not been able to take my eyes off it for at least a week. This is my 3rd post and I don’t want to sound like a moaner (sorry).

I’ll get there in the end I know, less searching for answers and more posting!

:)

Edited by jbk44

SGL is one of the sites I have as a favourite on my computer links. It is friendly and informative. (Actually it sounds a lot like the folks who are into astronomy. Not yet met a sarcastic or snidey person in all the time I have been doing this. A great site for great people.

Now I have said nice things, who has a 60" Dob to GIVE to me?

PS I would like a print function at the top of the page so I can get a hard copy of some of the invaluable advice that is offered.

Ant's post about Abbreviations for example.

Edited by Imp_Perfect

Thanks for the nice feedback Imp_perfect :)

If you select all the text on any post, click the right mouse and select "copy". Then open a notepad or wordpad document and right click in the text area - select "paste" and then save the file - simples :D