Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 Purchase - what to look for / check?

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a second hand Skywatcher EQ6 Synscan mount.

I've seen pictures and the mount looks in great condition, and comes with all standard bits/accessories.

The seller will be able to power up the mount, so what should I look for / check before concluding the sale and parting with the cash?

Thanks in advance, Matt

I cant tell you what to look for, but if you DO buy it, this is what you ought to do:

First think you can do, is order yourself a set of replacement Latitude and Azimut bolts. (unless seller allready have such bolts installed)

The ones that are standard, you will most certainly bend. I know I did, as many before me.

Alveprinsen.

Check for a clean full rotation on both axis, check to see if there is much play in both axis (this is done by seeing if the axis rocks when not moving)

Make sure that the alt az bolts work freely and are not bent and stuck internally especialy the alt (as Alveprinsen said replace them if you get it if they have not been done so already).

How loud is it when slewing, the gear chain is notoriously noisy so dont be to concerned but if it sounds very very bad be aware.

Is the handset firmware upgradable, some of the older models are not.

Thanks, the mount comes with the upgraded bolts for each axis, so ok on that account.

I will check the rotation of each axis and see if there's any play in them, noted that slewing may be noisy but will listen for irregularities or excessive noise.

I'll email beforehand and check the handset firmware version.

Anything else from existing EQ6 owners?

As long as the motions are smooth and the gearing is fine, don't worry to much about some play as most second hand mounts need a tune, I stripped mine and astrobaby's web site guide is excellent. Mine was even the black older model which I fitted a synscan system to and its now spot on,better than new , ask if it has been taken apart, as it will soon be evident if they knew what they were doing when stripping it or whether they may have done more harm than good.

Check the legs will slide in and out freely when loosened up, and ensure they hold in place well when tightened. Make sure the mount attaches to the tripod square and firm, and the legs spread evenly when the spreader is tightened up. Check nothing appears bent and no deep dents or scratches to be seen anywhere - these kind of marks can indicate a mount has been dropped or knocked over in the past.

If you can - go with an idea of where one or two objects will be at the time of your visit - use Stellarium in fast forward mode to ascertain this. Then point the mount roughly due north (use a compass) and from the home position switch on and set the mount up with as correct settings as possible.

Slew to one of your objects and see if it goes generally in the right direction and settles pointing roughly where it should be pointing. Park the scope and see if it returns to it's original position - if it does all that then it would be fair to say the electronics are ok. Hth :)

Just got back from picking up the EQ6.

It's basically as new, sadly the guy bought it and then never used it due to an injury sustained in a car accident. He said it had never been outside and it certainly looks in pristine condition.

It all checked out ok, but lack of clear skies meant I just listened to the slewing and assumed it was pointing in the correct direction.

Handset firmware is 3.14, so I'll have to see if I can flash it to the latest one.

Now I just need some kind of powertank...

Archived