Televue Ethos 21mm, 13mm and 10mm

Joves

Just added these 3 new eyepieces to my kit today, plus a Televue Short Everbrite 2" Diagonal and Astronomik UHC 2" filter. First impression... These things are BIG! And HEAVY!! Particularly the 21mm.. Weighs a little over a kg!!!

Anyhow, can't wait to get these beauties out under some clear skies. Who else has had any experience with any of these eyepieces? Hopefully, you can up my excitement levels whilst I wait to actually use them.

Aaron

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on some fine purchases  :smiley:

I've had the 6mm, 8mm and 13mm Ethos for some time now and I have a 2" Everbright diagonal in my Vixen 4" ED refractor. All absolutely superb pieces of kit. Eye relief on the Ethos can be tight if you wear glasses to observe (which I don't) but otherwise they are top drawer. Only the Nikon NAV HW eyepieces surpass them I believe and then only by a fraction.

Thanks fellas. They're one hell of an investment, that's for sure (I almost could have bought a pretty damn good Lunt pressure tuned 60mm solar scope with double stack for what I dropped today.. Which kinda blows my mind a little), but couldn't resist!

Will let you know how I get on with them.

I have 6mm,13mm and 21mm Ethos ,2" Everbright diagonal and 2"x2 Powermate all in handy case to take to dark skies. Thinking of selling T5 31 Nagler and getting 17mm Ethos but I'm quite attached to the 31mm.

Not a great authority on eyepieces but even I can see the difference compared to the Meade set I have, mind you one Ethos weighs as much as the case full of Meades :)

Dave

Thanks for the replies guys. Getting more excited to use them already... Plus, the splurge is almost already feeling justified!! ;)

Davey, you're not wrong... They've got some serious weight to them!

Stargazer, I've currently got a 10" LX90. Next purchase will probably be a Televue NP101 on probably a Losmandy mount... Gotta match the scope to the eyepieces, right! Hehe

Thanks Andy. They look like an ace set at the moment... Let's hope they perform like one!

I only have the 21 of the three. The biggest compliment I can pay it is that I didn't think I was into low power wide eyepieces, I was more into medium power observing. But the 21mm Ethos is now my favourite EP. I also find it quite comfy to use. Congrats, I think you are in for a big treat. :smiley:

John, have just been using a Televue 15mm Plossl and a couple of other pretty basic eyepieces... Celestron 25mm and 9mm which came with my first scope (Nexstar 130SLT), Meade 26mm Plossl (came with the LX90), York 7.5mm, LV 2.5mm (was suckered into this one... Was never going to be appropriate with my scope) and a Bintel FMC 40mm 2".

To be honest, I've been using a Mallincam video camera more recently than doing basic visual, which is awesome. However, I don't want to totally turn my back on visual (which seems to be a fairly common course for those that get into video), so want the views to be as good as they possibly can be.

Congratulations! Awesome purchase!

Hard to forget the excitement opening the box with 21mm Ethos, the 2" eyepiece is really big. I'm sure you'll have a great views with the set. I have come from the Plossl line too (Meade 4000 series) and the first night I used the Ethos.... wow! What to say, you really have to see. Now going back to 52o AFOV is like looking through a keyhole. The Plossls are good and still use them for high power with my 10" LXD55 but once you get the 'Ethos bug' it's hardly curable :)  Hope 8mm Ethos is coming soon in my line-up so to give the Meade's a rest.

Ivo

Just added these 3 new eyepieces to my kit today, plus a Televue Short Everbrite 2" Diagonal and Astronomik UHC 2" filter. First impression... These things are BIG! And HEAVY!! Particularly the 21mm.. Weighs a little over a kg!!!

Anyhow, can't wait to get these beauties out under some clear skies. Who else has had any experience with any of these eyepieces? Hopefully, you can up my excitement levels whilst I wait to actually use them.

Aaron

Guilt about recent astro purchases = gone :D.

In all seriousness though, excellent choices, hope you have first light soon :).

Aaron

Aaron Cogratulations!I am sure you will like the viewing experience with your Ethos.

Joves,

Wow that is a some purchase, many congratulations

You with enjoy all of them, I don't really have a favourite out of them but many say the 13mm is the best of a preatty good bunch. As John suggested towards the top of the post, it would be nice to hear how they compare with the eyepieces that you have already.

It would also be nice to hear of some target we cant can't see but wish we could.

Alan.

I have a 13mm Ethos and it's a wonderful eyepiece. I don't like it on the moon though so don't necessarily get rid of all your other eyepieces for now. might just be my mad eyes though.

Having toyed with selling it to get a 12mm T4 many times, I have decided that I cannot let it go. Enjoy your new set, simply amazing.

8mm would be nice tho!

I find the 8mm a really useful eyepiece in my 12" dob. Nearly 200x but still showing half a degree of sky. Really good on the more compact planetary nebulae and spectacular on globular clusters  :grin:

Archived