sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Myself an a few others from the local astronomy group took advantage of some clear skies to go out exploring, with a view to finding some new foregrounds for wide angle nightscape photography. Dirlot Castle seemed to be quite a good spot.........

post-23986-0-49237500-1381622811_thumb.j

• Like 8

Love it,another good site I would say,shame I missed it.

I'm sure we'll be making a return visit, so maybe you'll make it next time.

It's worth a visit in  thedaytime too, and is easier to find when you can see further than the beam of a torch.

Thanks all - glad you like the image.

lovely pic, how did you get a 45sec exposure with no tracking?

Sorry for the delay replying, I've been away enjoying light pollution ( :shocked:) at the Enchanted Forest near Pitlochry.

The photo is a stitched panorama covering a large area of the sky (Deneb at the top and Jupiter in Gemini at the bottom). It was captured using a Sigma 10-20mm lens set at 10mm (16mm full frame equivalent). There is trailing as the attached 100% crop of the area around Deneb shows. You'll also see that the image doesn't look anywhere near as good close up either, but probably not too bad for a single exposure at ISO6400.

Because of the wide field of view and the fact that the camera isn't pointed at the celestial equator, the star trailing during 45 sec isn't too noticeable. There is discussion on this topic here - http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/90390-dslr-plus-lens-rule-of-thumb-to-avoid-star-trails/ and www.astropix.com/GADC/SAMPLE7/SAMPLE7.HTM or www.wilmslowastro.com/software/formulae.htm#StarTrails

post-23986-0-90684000-1382173928_thumb.j

• Like 1

That's a cracking foreground and perfect for wide fields. Great shot!

Thanks JonH. It was a memorable night and location.

Keep the 'astro landscapes' coming!

Thanks laser_jock99 - I'll do my best whenever the weather allows. It can be a difficult decision sometimes, whether to get the telescope out and set up or go exploring with the camera and tripod.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SuburbanMak
      I wasn’t able to get out to the park last night but once the smaller of the children was abed & the teenagers uploaded to their games I popped on a hoodie (cunning anti-security light plan) and decamped to the garden, wine in hand, for an impromptu after dinner tour with the ST80. 
      After wrestling with the old wooden tripod on my “new” Prinz 330 60mm earlier in the week, the Manfrotto 55 and full height viewing position made this feel quite the luxury experience! 

Wide-field views weren’t bad either...
      15.4, 9.30 PM
      ST80 & Baader Zoom. 
      Seeing good, transparency patchy at Zenith, murky below 30 degrees. 
      Castor - almost split @50x  low over rooftop
      M44 Beehive - great view, put the red dot right on it. Was above the houses & enjoyed the soundtrack to a neighbour’s party whilst lost in space. 
      Melotte 111 - lovely view. Super round pin points & some good colour contrast with white & a smattering of orange stars. ST80 loves these slightly fainter clusters. No hint of CA. This cluster now firmly on my highlight list. 
      Chertan & 73 Leonis - but no triplet (well it was worth a try)
      Algieba - Split (just) at 50x, nice yellow headlights. 
      Had a look for anything apparent in the Virgo galaxy field but lots of white LP to SE so no chance. 
      Cor Caroli - beautiful view in the ST80. White primary with smaller fainter white secondary - nice round stars.  
      Mizar - again a super field, Mizar A&B look a close pair at 50x with size contrast - easy to imagine as an orbital system. Alcor a way off and a couple of other faint stars making a nice little asterism. 
      M81 & M82 - yes! From the garden, a first outside of M31!  Hoodie over the EP.  Dropped the red dot carefully in line from the diagonal across the bowl of the plough/dipper.  Galaxies popped with a slight nudge from original guess.  See an oval and a stripe & that fantastic orientation - obviously no detail but a rewarding view from among the security & streetlights! 
      Enjoyed for ages with a glass of wine!  
      Civilised galactic travel... 
    • By micovn
      This is a lens that does not need an introduction, it's simply a fantastic budget lens! I've been using it for astrophotography with great results and satisfaction (see pictures). Just selling it becuase I'm upgrading to the 135mm version. Any questions please ask. Asking £160 which includes P&P to UK mainland.

• By JemC
      I have recently acquired a Vixen Polarie with the intension of doing some wide field imaging, 
      I will be using my modified Canon 600D with it, Currently the only lens i have are a standard kit Canon 18-55mm and a old carl Zeiss Jenna 50mm , so i am looking at purchasing alternative lens to use,
      The ones i am looking at for now are the following,
      Canon EF 135mm f/2 L USM
       Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM
       Samyang 135mm f2 ED UMC
       Samyang 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC 
       Sigma 150mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro
       Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX
      So my question is, has anyone used any of these ( other than the Samyang 135mm f2 ) for wide field and if so how did you find them, would you recommend any of them?
      from the ones listed (other than the Samyang 135mm f2 ) would you say there are better ones to look at or any other i should consider?
      Regards
      James
    • By Quetzalcoatl72
      After a very sturdy tripod and 'head/mount?' for general photography at the current moment but to also use for a Sky guider when I get one in the future
      My questions are;
      Which tripod do I need to handle a small scope and or camera with a big lens attached to sky guider, Tripod budget less than £100 Which sky guider should I go for to image the milkyway and nebula? probably 6-8 lbs payload? Budget less than, £400 Do sky guiders come with their own mount? I heard something about a ball head, mount budget less than £50 Is there anything else I may need with what I have mentioned, power, adaptors, filters etc. Much appreciated, I am new here so I hope this is ok to ask. I currently own a NEQ6 with two small telescopes which I have problems with that I will discus in another topic, so I know how to image that way, but I fancy something small and less stressful in the meantime.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.