SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Andromeda LRGB

Uranium235

Agreed, this is probably one of the best M31 images posted so far this year - you're setting the bar high Rob!

Martin

Ahhh you flatter me! :)  Thanks Martin!

I'd like to push it futher being as its coming into prime position now, possibly as a warm up target while im waiting for the Heart nebula (still a WIP). After that its M45, which im hoping to nail before mid November so I can get the images off to Vistaprint for a few bespoke xmas gifts :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, this is probably one of the best M31 images posted so far this year - you're setting the bar high Rob!

Martin

Indeed I think Martins right, You would have a heck of a job to get any thing better,

I think the added HA has put the icing on the cake Rob.

well done.

Paul

Thanks all :)

I just hope there is more clear sky so I could really push this one (unlikely given the current forecast!). From what ive seen in other images, there is a shedload more Ha to be had. I think to take it further would require an additional 6 or 7 hours exposure (spread across LRGB and Ha). The outer flashes of Ha in the corners is telling me that there is more to be had in Lum too.

I think the thing that pleases me most with this so far is that ive completely nailed the focus in Lum, since there are some quite noticeable diffraction spikes on a few of the stars (generated by the cell clips on the 80ED).

But gawd, I wish I had a faster telescope!

Hats of to you.  This is one of the best M31's I've seen.  It's certainly the best 'value for money' M31 I've seen.

Can't call this kit inexpensive, but it must be satisfying getting this quality without AP/Tak/SBIG getting a look in.

ED80 - best value small frac - doubt anyone would argue.

Atik 383 - not the quietest or most sensitive, but possibly the best value ccd per square millimeter.

EQ6 - best value mount

Could only be topped by an EQ5 user...

Anyone looking to start out in astrophotography couldn't write a better shopping list.

Great stuff.

Jack

Hats of to you.  This is one of the best M31's I've seen.  It's certainly the best 'value for money' M31 I've seen.

Can't call this kit inexpensive, but it must be satisfying getting this quality without AP/Tak/SBIG getting a look in.

ED80 - best value small frac - doubt anyone would argue.

Atik 383 - not the quietest or most sensitive, but possibly the best value ccd per square millimeter.

EQ6 - best value mount

Could only be topped by an EQ5 user...

Anyone looking to start out in astrophotography couldn't write a better shopping list.

Great stuff.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

I think youve just about nailed why I have the setup I do. The 80ED is just about as reliable as you can get for below £500 (in frac terms), the 383 although slightly less sensitive than my old 314 has saved me a lot of time (no more need to do mosaics), and it can also act as a focal reducer if binned on a longer FL telescope while still maintaing a decent pixel count. The mount, thats the heart of it all - without that there wouldnt be the reliable platform required to push the optics and camera.

I'd love to afford a Tak and fancy camera, but there is no way I could ever justify the expense to my wife (and I dont earn enough!).

But, I have been toying with the idea of getting a small imaging newt (130pds), just to see if it can challenge the 80ED in the "bang for buck" category. The theory being that the smaller tube size will suffer less flex than its larger brothers, but I need to check first as to whether the 8300 chip will be covered adequately. Its looking unlikely that im going to be getting my 80/480 triplet anytime soon :( so it might be a case of making do with something a bit more modest.

Archived