Christmas present suggestions

Pig

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's not a bad list to be going on with guys, thank you :grin:

Lots to think about - I especially like the thought of going down the solar route, I just have this sneaking feeling of another slippery slope on the horizon :smiley:

Of everything, IMO the solar hydrogen alpha route would be the most cherished.  You have binoculars and a good mainline scope now, and if you don't have a h-alpha setup then IMO you a missing a big piece of the astro-pie.  Yes it can get way expensive, but can also be quite satisfying staying small.  I love my P.S.T. as it opens up the daytime for observing astronomy as well.  And many times I will just take it out for 15 minutes and nothing more, just to give a check on what is happening on the Sun each day.  Kindof fun doing a daily sunny day Sun check!  And sometimes those prominences are spectacular and change so rapidy.  Plus its really portable so a blast to take for quick looks when on vacation at the beach or where ever.  So a P.S.T. or a Lunt would be quite much fun IMO.

I use a 150p on az4 and if is a great grab and go to the garden scope. This would leave you change. Maybe try squeeze in atv 3 6 zoom for it. This scope mount and eyepiece combo is the ultimate grab and go in my opinion. In thinking of putting an oo vx6 on my grab and go I like it that much!

Of everything, IMO the solar hydrogen alpha route would be the most cherished.  You have binoculars and a good mainline scope now, and if you don't have a h-alpha setup then IMO you a missing a big piece of the astro-pie.  Yes it can get way expensive, but can also be quite satisfying staying small.  I love my P.S.T. as it opens up the daytime for observing astronomy as well.  And many times I will just take it out for 15 minutes and nothing more, just to give a check on what is happening on the Sun each day.  Kindof fun doing a daily sunny day Sun check!  And sometimes those prominences are spectacular and change so rapidy.  Plus its really portable so a blast to take for quick looks when on vacation at the beach or where ever.  So a P.S.T. or a Lunt would be quite much fun IMO.

I am becoming greatly tempted by this option :grin:

I would definitely recommend the PST. I have one and absolutely love it. As Bill says, it's so portable and opens up a whole new avenue to your observing. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. Well, maybe for a Lunt pressure tuned 60mm with double stack (this is already on the shopping list)... As you say, it's a slippery slope!!

I would definitely recommend the PST. I have one and absolutely love it. As Bill says, it's so portable and opens up a whole new avenue to your observing. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. Well, maybe for a Lunt pressure tuned 60mm with double stack (this is already on the shopping list)... As you say, it's a slippery slope!!

What make do you have ? :smiley:

Me too...the Coronado P.S.T. (40mm).  Have it on a little alt-az and just keep a 20mm and 10mm eyepiece for it.  When the Venus transit happened I had it mounted next to my TSA-102 on my Minitower Pro.  Was cool having the transit in both H-Alpha and White Light Solar.  Two very different views and both views spectacular in their own way.

Archived