SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky watcher 300 p Jupiter 7th Oct colour re process

neil phillips

This is a re process of a colour shot already posted. More careful processing weeding out bad frames. Resized to 1.5 on registax  then slightly downsized. Its very surprising that my secondary was almost completely dewed over, Yet I still had a signal to use, for this RGB capture. Though dimmer than it should have been.  it died about 15 mins after the run. Click for full resize

post-2700-0-86788500-1381558642_thumb.pn

That's a big improvement Neil. Looks fantastic, smooth, great colour and tons of detail. I'm pleased the scope is producing the goods, any worries you had about optical quality can put to bed!! Lovely work.

Pete

Very nice Neil & goes to show less really is more, the dew is real problem this time of year as i found out testing my frac.

You have 45mm on me Neil with the objective but i am hopfull to capture some great shots this year, itching for Jup to climb higher.

Can you give us the exact capture durations on each channel please ?

I can see Jupiter but it happens to be at the front of my house for now.

Cheers Pete, Just goes to show the importance of processing doesn't it, as you know, with me its often hit and miss. And I tend to improve over time. Been out of it for so long, its starting to come back to me I think. My mount has developed a problem so will be sending that to FLO. But should be back in the game pretty soon.

Very nice Neil & goes to show less really is more, the dew is real problem this time of year as i found out testing my frac.

You have 45mm on me Neil with the objective but i am hopfull to capture some great shots this year, itching for Jup to climb higher.

Can you give us the exact capture durations on each channel please ?

I can see Jupiter but it happens to be at the front of my house for now.

Hi Ewan The durations were red 3min 55 secs Green 3min 5 secs, Blue 3 mins 7 secs. I usually do red for 3mins 30. green for 3 mins. And blue for 2mins 30. But this night I let it run for longer in the hope Winjupos would cope. Hope the info helps Ewan, I assume you meant the running times. And not the capture times ?

Cheers Neil, just out of interest what frame rates were you achieving with the RGB channels? Blue data seems really good with this shot even though the running time was significantly less i am impressed.

Cheers Neil, just out of interest what frame rates were you achieving with the RGB channels? Blue data seems really good with this shot even though the running time was significantly less i am impressed.

Thats an amazing transformation Neil! Dewed secondary and still 3 months off opposition.........the potential of this scope is looking very promising!

Think I am finding my processing feet a bit more now Stuart. What you just said is what I keep thinking. The fan I was running on this cost 3 quid and is tiny. But I think its enough to disturb the boundary layer. Especially as i was cooling initially with a front fan too. It worked well, it just caused dew. Just Hope things work out this time. Seems promising, Cheers mate

I was at 60 fps all channels But with a Dimmer blue maybe 60% histo if I remember. Actually the blue wasn't that good as the dew was kicking in Ewan, it was all in the red and green.(the quality)  I also need to experiment to see if I need to tweek blue focus. With the orion the focus point has a very large margin. Less so with the Skywatcher. its possible maybe even likely blue could have been sharper. Its work in progress I need to test this. Just didn't have time on the 7th. The tracking was awful. Making huge corrections about every 15 secs if I remember ?. I was going to stop to attempt a rebalance. But I hadn't seen a image on screen as good before with the 12" before. Since making the fan and baffle. So dedcided to fight with the tracking. Glad I did as I got one run before I realized the secondary was dewing out.

Archived