Zoom, Fixed EP for White Light

Qualia

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase Teleskop's Zoom which is basically the same eyepiece as marketed by Lunt, a fixed plossl like the 20mm TVP or the 18mm BGO.

The difference in prices are not that great.  I already have a 25mm and 15mm TVP plossl and a run of BGOs for the Tal 4", so if you were in my position which would you go for? This is mainly for white light solar viewing, but the given eyepiece may get a look in at night when the Tal is out.

It looks a decent ep but personally I'd always go for a fixed over a zoom if possible.

Having said that I'm no solar expert and a zoom may be a good idea with the extra light involved.

if it were for me though, I'd go for the 20mm

Good luck choosing

Do you (does anyone) really need an expensive EP (zoom or not) just to view the Sun in white light?. I wouldnt think so. Now,i know one persons idea of expensive is anothers idea of cheap............that's not my point.

I say use one of the EP's you already have. Maybe the 25mm,as the 15mm might be a bit too close-up and not get the whole Sun in the same FOV?.

Just my 2 cents (euro cents).

Paul

I think I would get the zoom, though I have not used one for solar yet. Any happy users of zooms on the sun out there?

I've been thinking about getting one for months. I had a Hyperion Mk2 Zoom before I got into solar viewing and let it go as I tended to use fixed focal length EP's for the better DSO views (the fixed Hyperions were a touch better).

I would (probably) like a zoom for solar because:

- I could travel light - cover all the focal lengths I want with a single EP (and perhaps a screw-on 1.7 Barlow if I want to really push the mag, assuming that will work).

- I could zoom in exactly as much as the seeing allows, which varies greatly from session to session.

- I find solar viewing very relaxed, more so than DSO, but maybe that is just me. That makes me especially lazy with solar and the idea of not having to change eyepiece appeals.

- Often my solar sessions may be a quick five minute hit. Sometimes a small gap in the clouds only allows a few seconds! Here a zoom would let me make the most of the limited time. Whole disc, prom or sunspot closeup, done.

- My best eyepieces (Delos) don't actually work that brilliantly in H-a - they will not outperform a reasonably affordable zoom the way they would on faint DSO's.

Luke,

I have only had a Celestron 8 -24 zoom and it was really impressive ( better than the Hyperion I tried) and  it was only £80 :smiley:  I am thinking of getting the Celestron deluxe eyepiece next.

http://www.365astronomy.com/celestron-deluxe-zoom-eyepiece-824mm-125-and-2-compatible-p-3150.html?zenid=824dfe0d6766eeb2a29b84858545b31a&gclid=CIul3u7_kLoCFWOWtAodlkEApg

I find my widefield eyepieces don't work so well on solar viewing.  I'm guessing this is due to the size of my eye pupil in full sunlight being different.

I use a high power zoom for sunspot viewing and usually an 18mm or 24mm 82 degree for full disc viewing.

Archived