SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

outside Power Supply Unit (for scope) - advice needed.

I am awaiting delivery of a HEQ5 mount  :grin:

To power it I have ordered a MAPLIN power supply unit with a 5 metre set of power cables.

The mount in the middle of the garden is say 10 metres from the nearets 'wall socket' from which to power the PSU.

So I will have to run an extension cord out of the garage and across the garden.

Obvioulsy with safety in mind and with late night dew / damp, any advice on how to house all of this? 

My thoughts was to place the socket part of the extension in a shoe box? 

any thoughts welcome..

I would make sure it is totally waterproof the RCD will only protect you and may not 100% protect your equipment :smiley:  transistors are the fastest fuse in the world and I am sure you equipment will have them :smiley:

From a fully qualified Electrician.

All above are right. Get a plastic box, bags and tape for dew etc.. Just keep sockets/plugs dry.

And the RCD is vital. Guarantee your safety and no damage to what is plugged in.

Clear Skies,

Scott.

Can I place the PSU directly in the box?

Some one mentions bags??? what should I be wrapping up - I thought wrapping things up directly would make everything a bit to hot?

thanks for the great and safe advice!!

Low voltage is totally safe from human danger, however DC shorts are not good for DC kit.

Common sense rather than technical professional advice.

Plastic box or a bag with tape.

Anything to keep plugs, sockets or exposed electrics dry is good.

Never wrap something and submerge it or leave in a puddle. Just keep the damp off.

240v outside - ALWAYS have an RCD at power source.

Run low voltage outside and it is safer by far. - Remember 12v doesn't run more than 10-20m before you loose volts and create other problems.

Common sense always and clear skies.

from a none-electriacian ... are the plugs easy to fix onto the cable?

So this plugs into the mount? did you get some rings to attach to the PSU ?

Solder the cable to the plug is quite easy i put a rubber sheath on the live centre pin, slide over once soldered, solder on the neg wire and screw the plastic cover on, then add a length of shrink wrap to stop and tension on the soldered joints, the other end 6mm rings with a colour plastic sleeve stripped off slide red shrink wrap on the live, black on the neg, solder the wires on and heat the shrink wrap....

Solder the cable to the plug is quite easy i put a rubber sheath on the live centre pin, slide over once soldered, solder on the neg wire and screw the plastic cover on, then add a length of shrink wrap to stop and tension on the soldered joints, the other end 6mm rings with a colour plastic sleeve stripped off slide red shrink wrap on the live, black on the neg, solder the wires on and heat the shrink wrap....

Spoken like a true prodigy - Listen to this man.

Exactly that!

"Low voltage is totally safe from human danger, however DC shorts are not good for DC kit."

Sorry I have to disagree here.  Low voltage is not necessarily safe.  It is the current that causes problems and even 12v can supply enough Amps to cause serious injury or death.  Low voltage (12v) outdoors is certainly safer than mains however proper precautions are still necessary - especially if water is involved (eg dew on wires and other equipment).

In the case mentioned above it is far safer to take the low voltage cable out to the mount.

"Low voltage is totally safe from human danger, however DC shorts are not good for DC kit."

Sorry I have to disagree here.  Low voltage is not necessarily safe.  It is the current that causes problems and even 12v can supply enough Amps to cause serious injury or death.  Low voltage (12v) outdoors is certainly safer than mains however proper precautions are still necessary - especially if water is involved (eg dew on wires and other equipment).

In the case mentioned above it is far safer to take the low voltage cable out to the mount.

If you can explain SELV them I am wrong. If you cannot, you are.

You must excuse me but I know EXACTLY whet I am talking about.

This is not 'my opinion', it is fact. The DC currents under any load of kit here will not harm you at all in reality.

I will not and shall not argue the semantics of application.

This thread has gone deep enough, its just common sense.

Small loads protected, forget about it. Stuff is dry = Your safe.

End of.

I uses a dry box which permanently houses a 2 way extension socket, PSU for mount, 4 port USB powered hub

For dry box see  link http://www.burntec.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=716&currency=GBP

The trailing extension socket has a 10m lead which is connected to an external socket.

The external socket was fitted by a qualified electrician to the house RCD.

From the dry box I have  2 No.  10m active USB cables to my laptop, power cable to the mount and USB cables to CCD cameras and serial cables with USB converter to hand control and focuser

At the end of a session, all cables are rolled up and stored with the dry box inside a larger plastic box.

It works for me for my temporary set up and has been left out in several heavy storms with everything inside the dry box bone dry.

If your wondering about my scope, that has a scope coat to keep it dry.

Only use stuff meant to be outside, outside. Leave the inside stuff, inside. Thats my advice.

Also 12v is perfectly safe. Your bodys resistance is far to great to cause any lethal currents through your body.

Ohms law I = U/R

Skickat från min HTC Desire S via Tapatalk 2

Archived