Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

first view of mars

col

im over the moon,excuse the pun, iv just seen mars through my tal for the first time, not ideal conditions, but i was able to make out darker regions on the disk, looking for another target now, making the most of my first clearish night for ages :clouds2: :clouds2: :whip2:

im afraid becouse of my viewing spot, in my back yard, and the position of house roofs, ill have to wait till about one to one thirty to see saturn, but hey im on me hols still so ill wait, its getting a bit cold now so ill be looking like a yeti by then, but sounds like its gonna be worth it :clouds2:

Congrats Col :cheers:

The best is yet to come :thumbleft:

Have you considered writing a report/review on that Tal?  Just say what you like/dislike; you might even win a StarryNight Pro V4 package.  

(There are a lot of Skywatcher/Celestron fans here; it would be great if we could broaden the field :clouds2:).

Steve

yeah ill give that a go sometime steve, but im not that experienced at reviews so ill just do my best and see how it turns out,

And that was basically how it looked to me kaz, just an orange ish ball, but i was able to see some darker markings around it, just, like shadows, nothing crisp and the image was very small also. but i was still chuffed, im hoping to catch saturn later on at about 1 to 130 am,thats when itl clear the roof tops enought i think for me to see it,

im watching the sky hoping it stays clear :clouds2: im not in a good enought dark spot for deep sky so i can only realy wait. :silent:

yeah ill give that a go sometime Steve, but im not that experienced at reviews  so ill just do my best and see how it turns out ...

Good news Col :thumbleft:

Everybody,

A review can be a simple introduction stating what you are reviewing (anything really: scope, filter, software, etc), a list of likes/dislikes and a conclusion that includes a few comments about performance, suitability and value-for-money. 

Thats all ... easy :clouds2: 

So, don't be shy; let us know what you think....

Steve

ok will do steve, you make it sound easy, :clouds2: ill give it a go, see how it shapes up, probably in the next couple of days,now where s that kettle, getting real chilly out side now :clouds2:

Congrats dude. Like Caz i just get to see an orange blob which was still exciting coz it was my first planet visual.

I also saw Saturn last week on my first tme out and am just bursting to see it again!

I only have 41x magnification at present and it still looks cool. Waiting for some new eyepieces.

just a quick query steve, iv read a bit about these light pollution filters on the forum,do they realy make enough difference to warrant the price of one,, and do they not block a bit of say viewing mars??if they are any good, i think i need to invest in one, i suffer from quite a bit of lp , also would it help to see deepsky objects too?

thanks star geeza, i think i had 75 x then put a 2x barlow in to make 150x, but the 75 x seemed clearer, probably becouse its a cheap barlow, i also tried a 6.3 mill eyepiece, so that would be about 120x i think?? thentried the 2x barlow, dissapointing im afraid,didnt realy match the 150x for seeing.

just a quick query Steve, iv read a bit about these light pollution filters on the forum, do they really make enough difference to warrant the price of one, and do they not block a bit of say viewing mars?? if they are any good, i think i need to invest in one, i suffer from quite a bit of lp, also would it help to see deepsky objects too?

Col,

After a moon filter, a light-pollution-reduction filter is the most useful (unless you are one of the fortunate few with a dark sky). 

Personally, I recommend the Baader Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter:

http://tinyurl.com/7gr6y

It also tends too enhance detail on Mars, Jupiter and some nebulas.  Results do depend on what is causing the light pollution so if you can, buy from a shop that is prepared to refund if necessary.  

(James is currently testing one and will be posting a review)

Steve :clouds2:

thanks star geeza, i think i had 75 x then put a 2x barlow in to make 150x, but the 75 x seemed clearer, probably becouse its a cheap barlow, i also tried a 6.3 mill eyepiece, so that would be about 120x i think?? thentried the 2x barlow, dissapointing im afraid,didnt realy match the 150x for seeing.

I have ordered a 2x barlow. I am wondering if its worth getting a medium 3x Barlow - I know my scope is supposedly maxed out at 300x but I expect I would need some kind of top of the range Televue Power wotsit to view at that magnification - but then what do i know!!!!

i think going on my 2x barlow, which is a cheap one about 25 to 30 quid i think? i would pay twice that for the same x factor, to get a little better view through it, when i tried to up the mag it was a little blurry when i added the barlow, i suppose the old saying ,, you get what you pay for applies?

yeees, success, well sort of, i saw saturn through my 6.3 mil eyepiece in my 2x barlow, bits of cloud were covering it sometimes thick sometimes thin, but the odd time i got a great view, wow what a stunner :clouds2:

yeees, success, well sort of, i saw saturn through my 6.3 mil eyepiece in my 2x barlow, bits of cloud were covering it sometimes thick sometimes thin, but the odd time i got a great view, wow what a stunner :clouds2:

Thats how it works, you've got to be prepared to look at an object for 10 -20 mins just to get 3 or 4 "WOW!" moments on most nights.

Gaz

well to tell you the truth gaz, i was trying for nearly an hour with the cloud gaps, and got about 8 to 10 mins of actualy seeing it, and those minutes were split up with me trying different eyepieces,but the odd time amongst those ten mins were a few seconds of what seemed like perfectly still clear views, wow im still on a high.the highest mag i went to was about 250x i think, :clouds2: :clouds2: :clouds2:

gaz

your right there , it did, im looking forward to trying again when the sky is clear, but this time ill be more prepared with what im going to use eyepiece wise and what mag im going to try.

still feels like iv caught a big fish on a day out fishing, great stuff. :clouds2:

Archived