Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Afternoon all.

Could somebody please shed some light on the ison comet please, should we be able to see it? If so when?!!

Thanks

In the imaging section "wide field and special events", there is an image of it from Kelling Heath. Its was passing by Mars a couple of days ago. So if you find Mars, i'm sure ISON is going to be somewhere in the vicinity. It seems to be an early morning object.................4-5am. I'm pretty sure its not a naked eye object right now. Dont know if it ever will be, but its starting to look great anyway.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I saw an excellent chart on the latest S@N programme, 15 th October, early morning, Mars above Regulus in Leo, just go same distance again and there should be Ison, hurrah !

Nick.

I assume to see it, we should be looking eastwards,maybe south?. Not really sure where things are these days at 4-5 am. Its been so long since i did any observing that i am not really sure where anything is at any given time...................except most things are behind clouds all the time.

• Like 1

You can download it into Stellarium.

Dave

Here are the instructions (but obviously it's ISON you want to add).

Cheers

Edited by bingevader
  • Like 1

Reports are saying it will probably be far less impressive than 'expected' (but then comets never are). Could still be a fairly good one though, just not relishing the early morning aspect of it :mad:

if we get any sky at PSP from Friday I am hoping to see it.

I assume to see it, we should be looking eastwards,maybe south?. Not really sure where things are these days at 4-5 am. Its been so long since i did any observing that i am not really sure where anything is at any given time...................except most things are behind clouds all the time.

My issue is located this fabled time of 4-5am, people tell me it exists but for me it's more a myth.

Got up to have a pop at it a few times recently, only time sky was clear the Sun came up before I  could find it, 'sposed to be clear tonight ,according to the weather man ha,ha, so will have another try.

Also at around 1 oclock to 2 oclock space probe Juno going by, same bit of sky, bit higher up.

Details on Heavens Above.

Dave

Is Ison going to be a morning object for the duration?  I'd like to show it to my kids but if it means an early start for them...!

blumming hell, early morning. Why can't all astronomical events be nice and occur best at around 9pm in the East so I can view them from my back garden and don't have to get up early :(

Darn it, I'm going to have to set the alarm an hour early one morning and get out there!  When I'm leaving for work at 6.15 at the moment, Jupiter teases me most mornings (I've not seen it through my 200P since getting it in September), so that's added incentive.

• Like 1

I had great skies at c5am this morning and went out to look at Jupiter. The scope was at the perfect angle to use a dining room so I just sat there with a mug of coffee for longer than I intended and then moved over to Mars. I had a look for ISON and could not find it, there were some dim stars in the vicinity of where ISON should be. Does ISON have a tail yet ? More probably it is not bright enough yet to be visible with my scope.

I really do need a 12mm EP - can I hold off until santa ?

I'd recommend trying to see it from now until the end of the month (even though its a 5am object) as it may not survive its trip around the sun.

Very unpredictable things comets !

Nice clear sky last night, got all set then it clouded over at about two oclock so that was that for another night.

Dave