Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR + photo lens guide scope

I have a 1/4" quick-release ball head mount screwed onto a small Skywatcher dovetail, which then goes directly onto my EQ5 mount.

Depending what mount you have, and what you're intending to image, then guiding is possibly not required.

Otherwise I have a Skywatcher ST80 guidescope and use the top screws of the ST80 mounting rings to attach the DSLR camera dovetail & ball-head to it.

post-18698-0-11599900-1375196543_thumb.j

Well I have no mount at the moment. But I am looking at either the HEQ5 or an EQ6, the 6 obviously being heavier duty.  I've also started looking at the iEQ45 but this is a fair bit more but reviews seem to indicate a better build quality.  But I digress.

That setup looks great, a clamp/ball head on a 2nd plate/bar is nice and simple and probably quite cheap too.  

post-27798-0-16160400-1370022633_thumb.j

as above...just that the dslr is now sitting on the front ring (this is an old photo)...

oops forgot, guiding through the 9x50 and imaging through the ed80 and the dslr.

at least so is the plan

...just waiting for less work and clear skies :cool:

I have a 1/4" quick-release ball head mount screwed onto a small Skywatcher dovetail, which then goes directly onto my EQ5 mount.

Depending what mount you have, and what you're intending to image, then guiding is possibly not required.

Otherwise I have a Skywatcher ST80 guidescope and use the top screws of the ST80 mounting rings to attach the DSLR camera dovetail & ball-head to it.

Matt, could I ask what sort of connection exists on the Skwatcher small dovetail where the ballhead is attached? Is it a 1/4" thread?

Thanks.

Harry.

Matt, could I ask what sort of connection exists on the Skwatcher small dovetail where the ballhead is attached? Is it a 1/4" thread?

Thanks.

Harry.

Sure, if I remember correctly then the base of the ball head has a 3/8" thread. I had to drill out the centre hole of the dovetail in order to make it large enough to allow through the 3/8" hex head bolt I used to secure them together.

I guess it will vary depending on each brand/make/model of ball head - mine was around £16 from eBay.

You can get 3/8" to 1/4" converters as well.

My Zhumell 9x50 came with a mounting plate that can go onto a dovetail bar. I mount the camera on one side and the scope on the other. I then set the RA dovetail mount sideways. I use a Meade DSI1 mono ccd to autoguide. All said I have about 85 dollars into this setup with the scope, bar and screws.

Archived