Eyepiece for Clusters?

mikey32shaw

the answer to this question is always the same no matter what the object.....and it's the one that adequately frames the object and provides a sharp, contrasty, clear view of it.  clusters vary from tiny globulars to huge clusters covering many degrees. they require maximum field eyepieces and sometimes high power. it must of course fit within your budget, maximum exit pupil and weight limits.

I would tend to build an eyepiece set around what's needed and based on your observing experience.

if you can advise what you have, what your budget is and whether you wear glasses to observe this would help with suggestions but most eyepieces will be suitable for most objects within reason, if the objects fit in the field they produce.

Thanks for the quick responses, at the moment am still a beginner of sorts. Been observing for 12 months but still much to learn.

I don't need glasses and my eye sight as far as I am aware is perfect. Also was wanting to observe both open clusters and globs so appreciate I may need two separate EPs the only Eps I have at the moment are the two that came with my scope and I have bought a ultra wide 6mm. Thinking the latter will be ok for globs but think I need darker skies to find them. Was wanting to keep my new purchases below £70 if possible.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi Mikey,

I'm new here but thought I'd toss this out, even if at this time your budget may not allow...Al Nagler talks about the "majesty factor" as the widest possible field of view under higher mags than were available before the 100(+) degree eyepieces, the benefit on clusters being able to see fainter stars (by extra magnifiction) in the same original true field of view but against a darker background. We were constrained to use certain EPs because we only binoview, but if we didn't then we would have done things differently...instead of using 36mm 72 degree Hyperion Aspherics producing a 6mm exit pupil (which EPs don't do well under our light polluted home skies), we would have gone with a higher power EP whose apparent field of view would render the same true field of view but with a much darker sky. Most times we have to use our ES 24mm 68s (4mm exit pupil) because of our light pollution. Just something to consider. Mel Bartel's even suggests that we might try a different approach to EP spacing, according to exit pupil rather than magnification.

Cheers

Hi Mikey,

I'm new here but thought I'd toss this out, even if at this time your budget may not allow...Al Nagler talks about the "majesty factor" as the widest possible field of view under higher mags than were available before the 100(+) degree eyepieces, the benefit on clusters being able to see fainter stars (by extra magnifiction) in the same original true field of view but against a darker background. We were constrained to use certain EPs because we only binoview, but if we didn't then we would have done things differently...instead of using 36mm 72 degree Hyperion Aspherics producing a 6mm exit pupil (which EPs don't do well under our light polluted home skies), we would have gone with a higher power EP whose apparent field of view would render the same true field of view but with a much darker sky. Most times we have to use our ES 24mm 68s (4mm exit pupil) because of our light pollution. Just something to consider. Mel Bartel's even suggests that we might try a different approach to EP spacing, according to exit pupil rather than magnification.

Cheers

I would agree with that. An original Nagler might not even be needed. You might see if your budget stretches to a MaxVision 24mm 82 deg. These are essentially Meade Series 5000 ultra-wide angles in a different colour scheme. Excellent value for money. I had the 14mm Meade, and it held its own pretty well against the Nagler 17T4 (regarded as one of the best Naglers), even in a 20" F/4.1 dob (which is punishing on EPs). The only reason I sold it was that the eye relief was a bit short for me (it is fine for most), and I could get a Nagler 12T4 second hand (which has 3mm more eye relief, just rieght for me with my glasses). the link is here:

http://www.explorescientific.de/maxvision-82deg-okular-24mm-p-25559.html?language=gb

If you're going for Maxvision EPs, you'd better hurry. They're going to raise shipping rate to some (?) contries, such as Sweden (from 12,9€ to 16.9€, beginning next week). I got this info from Holger himself, when I asked why the listed 9,9€ was not available when ordering.

Archived