Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap starter camera find!

Carl Reade

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This next one is x128 AGC low / DNR32 - Emley Moor top light murky conditions (5 miles away)  through double glazing - seems to be showing the diamonds - warm pixels?? presumably cooling necessary!!

The bright dot to the south of the main image appears on my dark tests as well - is this then a HOT pixel??

Note Baader LP in use.

cr6 x128 Emley.bmp

Hi Nibor at least one maybe a dead or hot one but I have that with the Samsung its not much to worry about TBH.

At a room temp of 22 Deg the front camera board will be around 30 deg at full integration. I measured this live from the Samsung mod thread. This is very warm for a camera and I would expect warm pixels in that heat. Dont forget if you add the minimum of a fan and are outside at night especially this time of year the temp will be nowhere near that resulting in a lot fewer warm pixels.

I carried out a test today and think the room temp was around 16 Deg. The board read 25 Deg.

Here is a comparison of the CR6 and the Samsung from the other thread  both fan cooled. 

They both look very similar to me. In my opinion this cam will work fine if only I had a clear night to DSO it :grin:

Pic 1 is the Samsung, pic 2 is the CR6

post-30085-0-60055100-1381706141_thumb.j

post-30085-0-63773600-1381706212_thumb.j

The reason the CR6 is brighter is it was out of the casing and light was getting in but pixels are around the same.

Cheers Carl

Carl,

Many thanks for the hot pixel comparison - and setting my mind at rest!!

Is adding a fan simply a question of buying a small 12v fan from Maplins (other retailers are available!!), drilling some ventilation holes in both sides of the camera body and wiring it into the camera's power input socket?

Carl,

Many thanks for the hot pixel comparison - and setting my mind at rest!!

Is adding a fan simply a question of buying a small 12v fan from Maplins (other retailers are available!!), drilling some ventilation holes in both sides of the camera body and wiring it into the camera's power input socket?

Its by no means a scientific test but I think it performs quite well considering it was the price of a filter :smiley:

On the fan yes thats more or less it. Its the heat at the front you want to keep down. An on/off switch is also very useful which will allow it to cool between use.

Carl

FIRST LIGHT!! Well could'nt get the scope or mount out tonight but I set the cam up on my trusty make shift stand with a 50mm slr lens. 

Intregration could only be set on X32 for Andromeda due to star movement.

I think the second is a double cluster in Cassiopia  again only X32.

The last was X512 on Polaris as I could get away with it with no star movement.

The moon is out and no filtering or processing just live shots. Enjoy :p

post-30085-0-36590200-1381780077_thumb.j

post-30085-0-61320000-1381780107_thumb.j

post-30085-0-17473200-1381780162_thumb.j

Cheers Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all got a first scope test on this cam and a play with the settings. I would say make sure the sense up is set to auto to use sense up. Like the Sammy if you use the shutter control the AGC takes a buckle :grin:

It works very well. By the time I had done a quick setup on the spur I managed to grab the Andromeda core at X512.

The top is the CR6 and the bottom is a past processed Sammy. Will have to do more testing but the colour in the cr6 looks a lot more natural and that is just a screen shot with no processing at all.

post-30085-0-04254500-1382570823_thumb.j

post-30085-0-54866400-1382570920_thumb.j

Unfortunatley cant do more for a while as we have the weather coming in :sad:

Carl

Great results Carl  :smiley:

On the Sammy I found Sens-up on 'Auto' annoying and useless because the camera self-adjustand would do what it wants to do. If it looked at a nice bright galaxy it would turn the sens-up down  :embarrassed:

I always set it to Fix :smiley:  Then I had total control. The CR6 might be different, but sammy's are areal pain on Auto. 

Ahh I was wondering what you meant by "fix" myself. I looked at the Sammy 2000P it doesnt appear to have the fix option. The CR6 is the same. 

What I ended up doing for those who have them to solve the problem,

Set lens to manual

Set shutter to ESC

set sense up to auto

Then use the sense up to change the integration. There is probably another way but that appeared to work. Next outing I will have a notepad and pen :grin:

Cheers Carl

Archived