Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

MikeG247

M31 with Canon 500D & 120ED

It was clear Saturday and Sunday night so decided to revisit M31. Captured 80 x 180sec exposures at ISO800 with my Canon 500D and Evostar 120ED with 0.85 focal reducer.

post-25090-0-81983200-1381256407_thumb.j

• Like 7

Thats looking nice Mike :) lovely colour and detail. Whats caused the reddening of the top left? 

Bit of a guess really but I reckon its bloom (if that's the correct term?) from the battery heating up during the exposures.

Pretty sure an external power supply for the camera would eliminate that.

Sorry forgot to add its a lovely picture though  :smiley:

I still aspire to get a nice image like that one day.

• Like 1

Nice shot Mike.See if that reddening is on your darks if it is it should be removable with darks.Astronomiser sells some special leads that help prevent the heat from the lcd or adapter interfering with your lights but you need to use an external power supply

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. I have a look at the darks. I'm using batteries which is a pain so I'll look into one of those external power supplies.

Thanks guys. I have a proper look tomorrow when I have time and see what the cause was.

if you switch the display off when imaging this stops the screen heating up and runs nearly 5 deg cooler, tested this with my 450d and BYE. great image did you have to crop it though?

• Like 1

Thanks for that Daniel I'll start switching the LCD display off. I only cropped the edges to tidy up where the camera was rotated a few degrees different over the two nights.

• Like 1