SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 17:44, Soupy said:

Will be finding out about the club later this evening but should be OK.

We'll also see who can make it and what times so we can do a rota so no one has to be there for the full 8 hours. 

I will be in Cheap, Tacky ,Benidorm unfortunately,  listening to Politically Incorrect comedians, tribute bands, and watching exotic Eastern European Dancers  (not Sticky Vicky, who these days looks more like E.T., Her daughter Damiera does some kind of magical tribute to her mother, but I will spare the details lol !!!

Typically I have been on nights for the last three and every time I've walked outside its been clear from horizon to horizon.

Tonights weather looks quite a mixed bag in comparison. Still worth a trip out me thinks

Just now, Mark62 said:

Clear out side has patchy cloud until 1:00 am then thick cloud at Winscar and same at home. The BBC has it clear all night 

I'd not checked the BBC Mark and just have done. They have it clear as you say. XC has it partly cloudy as well, I think I'll put the scope in the car so it cools as it's still in the house and see what it is doing in an hour? 

Great nights viewing with Mark, Eric and Soupy turning up later on.

Seeing wasn't brilliant and deteriorated after 1am. Was good to be out and I picked up a couple of new galaxies to add to the tally. 

Thanks for a good night all. Had a good time and the scope worked well this time ??. 

It was the first official WADAS Saturday that we managed to get out not that we realised it till we arrived at Winscar. 

Shame the viewing got mushy Mars was just a red blob and the rings of Saturn came and went. 

Thanks again every one  

I stopped up till after 1-00am and as Mark said Mars was a red blob and you could just make out the shape of Saturn I was going to come up but it would  had being after 10-00pm

I left last from Winscar and high cloud was drifting in from the west especially looking back as I was driving to carlecotes. The scope was covered in frost by the end of the meeting which was a surprise.

Monday night may be good for a session at the eyepiece. The wind is going to be up a little but they had forecast 9mph for last night which only appeared toward the end.

A good 4 hours out though and I may try again tomorrow night 

11 hours ago, mapstar said:

Great nights viewing with Mark, Eric and Soupy turning up later on.

Seeing wasn't brilliant and deteriorated after 1am. Was good to be out and I picked up a couple of new galaxies to add to the tally. 

Have you DOB MOB got a bet on?

First to X amount of galaxies!

Who is the ref?

Can you trust him/her?  :glasses12:

Bribes with PIES? :p

Hmmmmmmmm! Ohh sooooo exciting! :evil4:

7 minutes ago, Soupy said:

Aye a good night out. Glad I came up later on. Cheers for the paradise! ;)

Yeah the team star hopping worked out well. Especially with the extensive use of the expensive star chart gadget

8 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Have you DOB MOB got a bet on?

First to X amount of galaxies!

Who is the ref?

Can you trust him/her?  :glasses12:

Bribes with PIES? :p

Hmmmmmmmm! Ohh sooooo exciting! :evil4:

Ha ha no just a healthy interest in seeing them.

Last night it was Bootes and the galaxies NGC5492, 5513 and 5490 according to this website magnitude 12.1-12.8 although surface brightness is a different story with NGC5490 being an elliptical and more diffuse this is magnitude 22.89

http://dso-browser.com/dso/quicksearch/?query=ngc5492

Sounds like you had a good night out viewing. I had a night out imaging with Gain, and we heading off down Lincolnshire way to try to grab the best of the skies. Had a good, fun and productive night - including a pub meal to set us up for a long night ahead. Started packing up at around 3am, and got away before 3.30am - arrived home just after 5am! Feel worse for wear this morning, but it was worth it to have a good night out with clear skies. Seeing was poor, and my Saturn image is a very "meh", but we both got results, with Gain managing images of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars!

Here's my image of M13 the Great Globular Cluster in Hercules. Imaged using Atik 16IC-S monochrome CCD and William Optics FLT-110 mounted on NEQ6 Pro. 30 light frames ranging from 60 seconds to 600 seconds, no darks. Stacked in DeepSkyStacker, using the best 80% of frames. To say I'm pleased with this one is a bit of an understatement :)

M13 30.04.2016.jpg

Archived