Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not sure which forecast to believe tonight? Met office says clear night. Clear outside says partly cloudy after 7?

Hopefully it'll be clear. You'll be able to catch the tail end of Io transit on Jupiter. Europa also near by.

Does anyone have the the Jupiter app for Iphone? I love the typo! Makes one of the moons sound like your favourite grandparent! ??

image.png

In case you were planning some stuff for half term with the kids - astro related....

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/visit-the-dales/things-to-see-and-do/get-outdoors-dales/stargazing/dark-skies-festival/dark-skies-festival-programme

http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/visiting/whats-on/dark-skies-festival

Some good stuff going on..... although round us it was half -term last week!

It's amazing how drastically different the weather can be just 40 miles away. I had some glorious skies last night. Was out from 7 until midnight, with a couple of breaks to put the second child to bed \ dinner and then a break for a warm when my wife came home (great valentine's day, my wife went to bingo and I was in the back garden stargazing :) )

Does anyone know what the brighter galaxies are, that I have a chance of finding from my back garden (NELM about 4.5) ? I've seen M81/82 and M31, but last night I was looking for M51, M63 & M94 - didn't have any luck with any of them.

Still, it was an enjoyable session and the first time in about 3 weeks.

The main problem is not the actual magnitude of the galaxy, but its surface brightness. An edge on like ngc4565 the needle galaxy will probably be easier to spot than a large face on galaxy like the whirlpool. I struggle massively with the triangulum M33, even though that is mag 5.7!

If you cant get the whirlpool, try the pinwheel just over the road from Alkaid. Also try staying up later and catching the Leo triplet. You should get 2 of the 3 as they are lovely bright edge on galaxies. Plus they're easy to find at the moment, as they're right above Jupiter.

Cheers - I think Midnight is my limit on a school night, especially as my little boy was up at 5:45 waking us up! I'll give the Leo triplets a go next time I'm out, as this constellation has now been added to the memory palace - it's in a good place from my back garden, and in the opposite direction to the light pollution of town too. I guess the moon didn't help either, so may have to wait a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, Ryan P said:

Im not sure which forecast to believe tonight? Met office says clear night. Clear outside says partly cloudy after 7?

Hopefully it'll be clear. You'll be able to catch the tail end of Io transit on Jupiter. Europa also near by.

Does anyone have the the Jupiter app for Iphone? I love the typo! Makes one of the moons sound like your favourite grandparent! ??

image.png

Looking at the lunchtime forecasts Ryan, it looks clear till about 1 - 2am. I see what you mean about clear outside, they have some cloud forecast between 9 and 11 for me, then clear after that, where as everyone else that I can see at the mpomment has it clear till about 2am. I guess its a case of just setup and hope the later forecast is correct.

ISS is over at 5:52pm at 52 degrees and 7:29pm at 21degrees for anyone wanting to spot it tonight

46 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Cheers - I think Midnight is my limit on a school night, especially as my little boy was up at 5:45 waking us up! I'll give the Leo triplets a go next time I'm out, as this constellation has now been added to the memory palace - it's in a good place from my back garden, and in the opposite direction to the light pollution of town too. I guess the moon didn't help either, so may have to wait a couple of weeks.

I always find NGC 2905 in leo an easy one to spot. Even in the back yard.

27 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

Looking at the lunchtime forecasts Ryan, it looks clear till about 1 - 2am. I see what you mean about clear outside, they have some cloud forecast between 9 and 11 for me, then clear after that, where as everyone else that I can see at the mpomment has it clear till about 2am. I guess its a case of just setup and hope the later forecast is correct.

ISS is over at 5:52pm at 52 degrees and 7:29pm at 21degrees for anyone wanting to spot it tonight

Yeah im gonna get my gear out and have a go tonight. Might image the Moon and later Jupiter hopefully ??

Just got your email Soupy, weather being ok of course is the track to your house ok for my car which is not too high off the ground lol or is it advisable for me to travel up in my wifes car which is a Nissan duke . My car is far more cumfy but not as good off road , although I have been 1 mile up a farm track on 2 wheels at one stage on Thornhill Edge when the sat nav sent me wrong way lol!!!

eric    

25 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Just got your email Soupy, weather being ok of course is the track to your house ok for my car which is not too high off the ground lol or is it advisable for me to travel up in my wifes car which is a Nissan duke . My car is far more cumfy but not as good off road , although I have been 1 mile up a farm track on 2 wheels at one stage on Thornhill Edge when the sat nav sent me wrong way lol!!!

eric    

depends what car you have, the juke probably better,

id it helps anyone I will be setting off about 3-4pm on the Friday in my Transit,  if anyone wanst a lift and share costs, room for 2 people besides me

I've just noticed something quite cool about another raw video I shot tonight. Seems like I caught either a bird? Maybe a satellite? Too small for a plane maybe? I don't know how to find out? Check it out at the 1.01 minute in the video.

3 minutes ago, Soupy said:

Cracking video Ryan... Too much high cloud up here for any serious AP, but it did provide a lovely Moon Halo photo opportunity!

image.thumb.jpeg.6f1cbed60cb560ec2a5ab2d

Great Pic Soupy! Ive had a pretty decent night down here playing about with the camera. Sky was a bit hazy but not really a concern for the moon and Jupiter.

Archived