Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just come in from a 2 hour session outside. Some great clear skies but some cloud about too. Gave the new astrotrac a good run with the ball head. Rough polar align with my existing mount head, need to get the geared head. However I was very impressed with the accuracy. Will post a pic tomorrow, off to bed! ;)

First light with the Astrotrac... Double cluster! Not sure on exposure but think it's was over one minute as I was on bulb mode and counting in my head, can't wait to get the geared head and give it some serious welly! ;)

image.thumb.jpeg.8a3e85ef87d0fafc45e30eb

managed a quick capture with the solar scope this lunch time, its over exposed, the capture was too long for unguided i think, 30 seconds, but it clouded over after that so it was the only one that i could get. ive never used a solar  scope before so first time ever at imaging the sun, so its ok for a first attempt i think.

This was just captured with my old webcam at 640*480 res at 30fps

12_44_35.jpg

Lovely images Soupy and Chris - you've also got cluster NGC663 up nearer Cassiopeia in there too, and also a hint of the heart and soul nebula. Looks fab :) 

It was meant to be clear later tonight, but I the forecast looks to have changed again, so it's looking like more cloud. Boo! 

been to see Damian this after noon it's a lovely job he's done on the scope. The mirror looks fantastic. 

It was nice to meet Mike too and the hospitality was second to non as you would expect from astoronimas. 

Looking forword to a clear night under lovely dark sky's 

31 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

been to see Damian this after noon it's a lovely job he's done on the scope. The mirror looks fantastic. 

It was nice to meet Mike too and the hospitality was second to non as you would expect from astoronimas. 

Looking forword to a clear night under lovely dark sky's 

Oh Dear! you will be giving them both BIG HEADS!! :icon_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Physopto said:

Oh Dear! you will be giving them both BIG HEADS!! :icon_biggrin:

You might not believe this but Damian was looking at the moon this afternoon i watched him aline his dob and look at the moon 

i have photographic evidence witch I will post when he dose his build thread 

23 minutes ago, Mark62 said:

You might not believe this but Damian was looking at the moon this afternoon i watched him aline his dob and look at the moon 

i have photographic evidence witch I will post when he dose his build thread 

Thus needs to be discussed at the next comitee meeting. It's a serious issue lol. I bet he's a secret lunar observer really :)

Cheers for the comments guys.

Another clear night here but doing my valentines duty so no observing. However forecast for more clear skies tomorrow so will be out again then. Though it's very cold. Had lots of snow the last two days. Good job we don't need to get out as it's pretty treacherous. ;)

Hoping the skies stay clear for this evening so I can get out and have another stab at Jupiter.

Wasa bit disappointed last night as the weather kept changing. Looked like it was going to be clear at 5pm, so I was going to get set up, but Terry warned we could have snow. So, I decided against it. Popped my head out at 8pm and it was really cloudy and heavy looking, so opened a bottle of wine. Popped outside at 10.30pm to the recycling bin (with empty bottle of wine lol) and it was clear as a bell! Typical! Didn't fancy setting up at that time as I'd had a fair bit if wine and my 8SE takes 2 years to cool down lol. Anyway, let's hope we get a chance to view/image this evening before the moon becomes too much of an issue again :) 

10 hours ago, astrotyke said:

Forecast looking good for tomorrow night. Currently snowing here in Barnsley. 

Looking forward to observing jupiter tomorrow night all been well. Might even try some basic Web cam imaging of it, see if it works out or not.

You should get good results with the webcam and Evolution6 Chris, as it is an F10 and, with a FL of 1500mm, will give good magnification. Fingers crossed for clear skies for us tonight. If the image still looks small, try a 2 x Barlow, but you'll need to up your gain as it'll stop some of the light. Good luck, but if your solar image is anything to go by, you won't need it :) 

10 hours ago, astrotyke said:

a dry lent is it Paul

Yep... Haven't indulged since Tuesday, but don't worry I'll be having an exception for Paddy's day (that's a holy day of obligation!) and the WADAS weekend straight after ;) 

Archived