SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

ive got some cloud coming over here. whats it like for everyone else? i only really wanted to look at Jupiter tonight so hopefully it will stay clear enough for that

been out for an hour, clouds rolled in 20:50hrs

eric

6 hours ago, Ryan P said:

I've just bought one of these on Damiens recommendation and I can now collimate my scope in about 2 minutes. Im not sure what the cheap ones are like? I've heard the lazers aren't true so kinda defeats the object. I can collimate my scope bang on with the Cheshire. It just takes a lot longer.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/hotech-collimation-tools/hotech-sca-laser-collimator.html

Right, def coming down next week - the laser I've borrowed says spot on but the Cheshire image is even worse than the image I posted earlier. Can't believe the laser would be that far misaligned?

16 hours ago, rockystar said:

I might have just worked it out, and I can see why it was removed ;-)

Is it worth me buying a laser collimator? There is one for sale in the classifieds at the moment. I've current only got a Cheshire.

I've just bought one of these on Damiens recommendation and I can now collimate my scope in about 2 minutes. Im not sure what the cheap ones are like? I've heard the lazers aren't true so kinda defeats the object. I can collimate my scope bang on with the Cheshire. It just takes a lot longer.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/hotech-collimation-tools/hotech-sca-laser-collimator.html

im definitely coming to next weeks meeting now as I've roped my mum into babysitting. Ill bring the Hotech with me so you can cross check it with the one you have.

@cosmicbug fantastic image Gain!! I would give my right arm for a setup like yours bud. It all comes in time though. I've only been serious about telescopes for about 18 months so you can't expect to have it all straight away. Great first light for the Takahashi though!

I popped my head out last night but the atmospheric turbulence looked horrendous! Even Jupiter looked like it was twinkling. It got me thinking? Are we doomed for planetary photography where we live? Do we ever get nights with minimal turbulence? I've never seen it be even decent really in the 18 months I've been observing. Is this down to the fact we are directly under the jet stream or what?

also would this gadget make much of a difference?

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p8504_ZWO-Atmospheric-Dispersion-Korrektor-ADC.html

Archived