Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

stonemonkeylives

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Think that's about 80 or so pics stacked with starstax software.

That's the figure I had, 40 seems about right. Just loaded the car up, not sure where I'm off yet. If it's clear I might go to winscarr but we shall see.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Have fun Iv just got back from cinema so I'm stoping in

Mark

It's cold. Car already iced up

Just been looking with the little 80mm frac.

I have found the vampire star and it very small and also very red. Lovely

Just been out for a look had to walk to the top of the hill, but unfortunately that's where there is a big bank of cloud, next clear night though its first on the list!

• Like 1

Cheers Neil, settings were 30 sec exposure ISO 1250 as far as I can remember, white balance was on tungsten to get rid of the orange light pollution.

Thanks Paul

Can't you do just do one image using the bulb setting

And leave the shutter open for 40 mins

Neil

Thanks Paul

Can't you do just do one image using the bulb setting

And leave the shutter open for 40 mins

Neil

I suppose so but you risk the chance of the lens dewing up, cloud coming across or accidentally knocking the tripod and ruining all that data. Also I imagine with such a wide angle (approx. 8mm equivalent lens in this case) it would get too bright and you'd lose most of the effect you were trying to capture. Edited by Soupy

I noticed it had iced up about an hour ago.

Don't think I'm moving tonight, tomorrow night I could do an all nighter.

• Like 1

I'm doing a bit of fun AP with the Star Adventurer and the DSLR. Made myself a DIY "spider" for my 300mm lens to get some diffraction spikes on the bright stars. Done a couple of M45 The Pleiades, Betelgeuse, Aldebaran and the Hyades cluster. Hopefully will get some quick images posted later, however they'll just be single unprocessed images as my laptop still isn't playing ball.

Hope some of you have got out - the clouds are starting to come over so I'll probably be back again soon! :)

post-39306-0-75427400-1452547536.jpg

• Like 2

I suppose so but you risk the chance of the lens dewing up, cloud coming across or accidentally knocking the tripod and ruining all that data. Also I imagine with such a wide angle (approx. 8mm equivalent lens in this case) it would get too bright and you'd lose most of the effect you were trying to capture.

Paul yes you are probably right,do you use a intervalometer and what interval setting do you set

Neil

I'm up at wooley tonight, it's just clouded over

I have a very basic intervalvometer Neil. It is just a button on a cable that can be locked in place to do either single shots or multiple shots. With doing star trails you need as little rest between each shot as possible otherwise you end up with loads of little dots stuck together once stacked. I believe all intervalvometers have the capability to do just multiple shots straight after one another (with a lockable button/switch) without having to program them. It's really easy and straight forward, once it is up and running just leave it and get on with your observing. Just check back every so often to check for dew on the lens. :)

It worked in my chrome browser on the pc fine, not on my phone, but it's nice

The Flickr timelapse uses Adobe Flash which is no longer supported on new versions of Android or IOS so that would be why it wouldn't view on tablets/phones but did on the PC

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing those images Vicky!

• Like 1

Betelgeuse - 11.01.16 at 21.05 - Canon 100D on SkyWatcher Star Adventurer - 75-300mmlens at 205mm, 30 second exposure at ISO 400.

post-39306-0-22043200-1452549932_thumb.j

• Like 6

I have a very basic intervalvometer Neil. It is just a button on a cable that can be locked in place to do either single shots or multiple shots. With doing star trails you need as little rest between each shot as possible otherwise you end up with loads of little dots stuck together once stacked. I believe all intervalvometers have the capability to do just multiple shots straight after one another (with a lockable button/switch) without having to program them. It's really easy and straight forward, once it is up and running just leave it and get on with your observing. Just check back every so often to check for dew on the lens. :)

My camera as a interval timer built in so I could use that thanks

Neil

Edited by gtis

Betelgeuse - 11.01.16 at 21.05 - Canon 100D on SkyWatcher Star Adventurer - 75-300mmlens at 205mm, 30 second exposure at ISO 400.attachicon.gifBetelgeuse 11.01.2016.jpg

Vicky what that big white thing to the right a cannon perhaps
  • Like 1

Vicky what that big white thing to the right a cannon perhaps. Neil

Haha, it does look a bit like the top of my WO scope, but it is the top of next door's down-pipe lol

Juat managed to capture it before it disappeared behind it, and if I go round fron I can't PA properly :)

M45 The Pleiades - 11.01.16 at 20.44 - Canon 100D on SkyWatcher Star Adventurer - 75-300mm lens at 300mm, 30 second exposure at ISO 200.

post-39306-0-78439300-1452551823_thumb.j

• Like 5

Aldebaran and the Hyades - 11.01.16 at 21.11 - Canon 100D on SkyWatcher Star Adventurer - 75-300mm lens at 135mm, 30 second exposure at ISO 400.

post-39306-0-81616000-1452552894_thumb.j

• Like 5

I've just got back from a quick observing session. Just went up to wolley edge tonight, saw m31, Comet catiana, double cluster in perseus,Jupiter, pliedes

• Like 3

Excellent news matt. A nice sized light bucket for some DSOs

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great images Vicky. Its good to finally start seeing some stars again

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Id of loved the 12inch but couldn't afford it, and wanted to get a scope ready for Kielder, and might get some chances to use it now.

Matt.

• Like 1