WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My "new" Messier Astrophotography book arrived today - ordered it from eBay - yes, I've bought another book!

It's going to be really useful as I try to view and image the Messier objects as it contains all 110 Messiers in order, when best to view/image them, 3 alternative sizing indicators and apparent field of views for various scopes/camera set-ups, and also a sky chart for each one showing its position in the sky.

Each one has 3 pages dedicated to it - one with a photograph of the object and the 3 sizing indicators - one detailing information about it, where it is, how to best image it and with what gear/settings/exposure/processing - and one page with the star chart.

I think I'll find it particularly useful as the 3 sizing indicators are for 80mm f/6.25, 110mm f/7 and 8" f/10 - the latter two are the exact match for my two main scopes, which is perfect.

Although I love my 80mm frac, it is an f/9 and I don't think I'll ever use it for imaging - unless I stick the DSLR in it for a quick session.

Anyway, you know how much I love my books, and this one seems to be really clear and user friendly.

Thought I'd share as finding clear and concise books to help with AP are not easy to find.

I am totally itching to get out and do some imaging! :)

My "new" Messier Astrophotography book arrived today - ordered it from eBay - yes, I've bought another book!

It's going to be really useful as I try to view and image the Messier objects as it contains all 110 Messiers in order, when best to view/image them, 3 alternative sizing indicators and apparent field of views for various scopes/camera set-ups, and also a sky chart for each one showing its position in the sky.

Each one has 3 pages dedicated to it - one with a photograph of the object and the 3 sizing indicators - one detailing information about it, where it is, how to best image it and with what gear/settings/exposure/processing - and one page with the star chart.

I think I'll find it particularly useful as the 3 sizing indicators are for 80mm f/6.25, 110mm f/7 and 8" f/10 - the latter two are the exact match for my two main scopes, which is perfect.

Although I love my 80mm frac, it is an f/9 and I don't think I'll ever use it for imaging - unless I stick the DSLR in it for a quick session.

Anyway, you know how much I love my books, and this one seems to be really clear and user friendly.

Thought I'd share as finding clear and concise books to help with AP are not easy to find.

I am totally itching to get out and do some imaging! :)

Will look forward to your full book review later :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Will look forward to your full book review later :)

Not sure you are supposed to read it as you would a novel, but that's what I've been doing.

Really interesting stuff, and the images and sizing indicators give an accurate representation of what you would expect to see/image when using an APS-C (crop frame) sized camera sensor DSLR in either a 110mm f/7 refractor or 8" f/10 SCT.

Think you'll find it useful Chris when you are taking notes ready for your WADAS talk lol ;)

Not sure you are supposed to read it as you would a novel, but that's what I've been doing.

Really interesting stuff, and the images and sizing indicators give an accurate representation of what you would expect to see/image when using an APS-C (crop frame) sized camera sensor DSLR in either a 110mm f/7 refractor or 8" f/10 SCT.

Think you'll find it useful Chris when you are taking notes ready for your WADAS talk lol ;)

Nah, I'll just read from your book :)

Haha, I've got plenty for you to go at lol - seriously thinking of opening an Astro reading cafe or library! :D

Sounds like a plan. I'll do astro talks, I'll talk about anything [emoji4]

You and me both kid lol.

Total blanket cloud here again today, which is a real shame :(

Hope it is better up in Kielder for their star party this weekend.

We will end up volunteering for something at this rage. Looks cloudy tomorrow now too.

My god man don't encourage the women can you imagine how long the review would be [emoji6]Mark

Haha, yup, nearly as long as the book itself he he ;)

Anyway, I did my review last night - fab book if you are interested in viewing/imaging the Messiers, which is my first goal to achieve the full 110 - should keep me "quiet" for a while :)

Haha, yup, nearly as long as the book itself he he ;)

Anyway, I did my review last night - fab book if you are interested in viewing/imaging the Messiers, which is my first goal to achieve the full 110 - should keep me "quiet" for a while :)

I doubt that very much

Mark

Wondering if the clouds will clear for the Astro event at RSPB Old Moor today. Hope you have a good time there Neil and that the clouds do not spoil it completely :)

Thanks Vicky

I really hope so or it will a very short astro event

Any way will be taking all birdwatching gear so at least I will have something to do

Neil

Right guys - With my images I need to convert them to Tiff files otherwise when I use them as Raw this happens to them in DSS. Anyone got any ideas why? Thanks alot guys!

Wish I could help Sam. Could it be to do with problems with RAM on your PC? Unfortunately, I am unable to use RegiStax or DSS at the minute as my laptop is on it's way out. RegiStax just says it's not responding, however DSS says that I do not have enough RAM.

I would be interested to read any comments on your problem, as I am just starting to try to learn about this stuff :)

Archived