Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went out last night!

First time in aaaaaaaages and I was blown away. It really cleared up by midnight and I got a couple of hours quality scope time with my new ES 24mm EP. Also tested out my 2" Oiii filter and I could see the viel neb from my back garden! Unbelievable! Dumbell neb was also absolutely amazing with it to.

Hoovered up pretty much every messier from Hercules to cepheus down to aquila (my visible triangle of sky in the back garden)

I'll be doing a proper write up of the ES at some point today I hope.

But deffo got my mojo back!

Sounds like you had a great night Nick - I had stopped looking outside by midnight and gone to bed. It appears it was well worth the wait! Seems like you have got yourself a great EP and look forward to further reports.

Hi Robin, good to hear from you - unless we arrange any casual meet-ups over the summer, our next formal meeting is on 17th September :)

Sounds like a good session Nick. Plenty of Messiers in the count.

I didn't get out as I had a drink and then felt quite tired after tea. Also the 80mm frac just doesn't really do it for me although I will give it another go maybe tonight if it is clear.

Hopefully I'll pick up my new eyepiece tomorrow but will be the end of September probably before I get to use it.

I went out last night!

First time in aaaaaaaages and I was blown away. It really cleared up by midnight and I got a couple of hours quality scope time with my new ES 24mm EP. Also tested out my 2" Oiii filter and I could see the viel neb from my back garden! Unbelievable! Dumbell neb was also absolutely amazing with it to.

Hoovered up pretty much every messier from Hercules to cepheus down to aquila (my visible triangle of sky in the back garden)

I'll be doing a proper write up of the ES at some point today I hope.

But deffo got my mojo back!

What will you be comparing it with Nick? 

Feel I have opened a can of worms after starting to read through sone of the PDF's and help sheets on Atik cameras and Artemis Capture.

Quick question if any AP chaps can offer a very quick answer:

If I am purely starting with the basics, without using an OAG or a second camera as a guide scope, plus if I am only only using my camera as Monochrone, and not using the filter wheel, do I need to worry about "binning"? As far as I can see I only need to use binning to speed up exposure time when using RGB filters, or to speed up focusing the camera. Is this correct or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Just having a read up on things before I attempt anything further.

Damian - it's a shame you'll have to wait so long to use your new EP. Maybe you and Nick should get together and test both the ES and the Televue on his big dob and give us a comparison ;)

First light of the Atik through the 80mm frac. I am amazed in the difference of resolution with this camera. Can't wait to test it out on a star/DSO!

This is a roof tile on a house about 300 foot away!

Need some help on getting my CG-3 mount polar aligned, and then I can see how well I can get the motor-drive going to try some longer exposures.

For now I am looking forward to giving the camera a go with some stacked short exposures.

Roof 26.07.tif

Yes Vicky, binning is usually for getting a quick idea if your target is in the centre of the frame and/or focused. It can also be used to take RGB elements.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Yes Vicky, binning is usually for getting a quick idea if your target is in the centre of the frame and/or focused. It can also be used to take RGB elements

Thanks Matt - I'm not even going down the RGB with filterwheel route yet. Just itching to have a proper go with it now :)

Had a play in PS and put together a mosaic of images of The Sun I took on 15.07.2015 with the Coronado PST and DMK21 Monochrome CCD. I didn't have enough images for the full disc, however I am really pleased with the final result :)

post-39306-0-99725800-1437923581_thumb.j

Lovely image of the sun Vicky!

I feel like I've been missing out on all the fun lately.

Fingers crossed we're all going to get chance to have a meet up and chill out with the Stars!

I managed a quick five mins with the bins the other day but that about it this past few weeks.

Hope everyone is alright!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been dreadful weather all day today - hence I had time to have a look back at my previous solar images and get the Atik camera a bit more sussed out. Doesn't look like we are going to have clear skies over this way for at least a couple more days.

What EP have you ordered Soupy?

Earlies for me this week, and I can hear my bed calling - 5 days at work then I'm off on my holiday! Yay! :D

Archived