SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am giving Vicky my astromaster CG3 mount and tripod I don't use, have regreased it and rebuilt it, however have managed to snap the thumbscrew that locks in place the slo mo cable for the RA clutch  (I think its that one, its the one the motor does not go onto)

Its tight enough that it will still work, but needs drilling out retapping and a new thumbscrew fitting,

I don't have the tools to do that so just wondering if any of you guys do and would be willing to sort it out for her,

I'm really excited and desperate for a clear evening to get out. Even been given a lap-top so I can download all my astronomy stuff onto it, so it can be used solely by myself and Luke for astrophotography, Stellarium, astronomy PDF's etc. We've also been given a book on Astrophotography by the chap who sold us his cameras, as he wants to keep in touch to see how I get on. I have promised to e-mail him an image when I get it sussed, so I have got to figure it all out now so I don't let him down lol. Good job I am off work this week, as I have got a lot of reading to do, and a lots of pieces of kit that I have no idea where they all fit into the equation :)

as with anything you are learning there wil always be disasters, the trick is, don't let them put you off, but to learn from them where you went wrong :)

Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm

Winston Churchill

Great quote

Thanks Leigh, yes I remember a bit about that from Kieran's talk. Any recommendations before I download anything? Is RegiStax any good, or would you go for AS!2? do you use different processing software for planetary inaging than you do for DSO? I think I'll be starting my journey on planetary, but maybe learning the basics by imaging the moon. I am starting from square one, and want to slowly build up my knowledge and not frighten myself by rushing in to quick. Think the Atik will be stopping in the box for now, and I'll start with the DMK21 with the RGB filters. Lap-top has just decided to install 178 updates, so it is G&T and catch-up on Game of Thrones whilst it sorts itself out :)

Yes, we have an amazing society. Thank you all for your help. I am meeting up with Leigh next weekend to get the mount, so I'll not have it until then anyway. Damian has also offered to sort it, but he is a bit further away from me, so it is easier to pop it to yours Nick and I can also bring that little Tasco up for the society to use for demos/displays. Thank you all again :)

On with more mirror polishing today.

Hard to explain if you've not looked into mirror making but at present I have what's called a turned down edge on the mirror.

This means its a nice spherical shape up to about 5mm from the edge where it just feathers away.

What I am currently doing is trying to take a layer of glass off the whole surface of the mirror so the edge come's up so to say and meet the rest of the surface.

I've been on with this for the last 4 day's and will get there.

Soupy called the other day and I was able to show him the mirror during testing. It's interesting to see both the Ronchi and Foucault image's. With patience and photo's you can see the surface change shape.

I shall very shortly be putting my experience down on a thread from the start so you can all see what is involved.

Damian

Archived