WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vicky it might be your hard disk is getting full so the page file which acts like ram but is actually a file on the hard disk has run out of space,

Thanks Leigh - it is an ancient laptop I had given, however I does suddenly seem to be struggling to say I only use it for my Astro stuff. I think I need someone quite computer-savvy to take a look at it to see if they can spot what's causing the problems. Don't want to start buying a new one if it just needs a "clean up", but I wouldn't know where to start.

Hope you get your issue sorted Sam - some of the AP chaps might be able to shed some light on it for you :)

Wish I could help Sam. Could it be to do with problems with RAM on your PC? Unfortunately, I am unable to use RegiStax or DSS at the minute as my laptop is on it's way out. RegiStax just says it's not responding, however DSS says that I do not have enough RAM.

I would be interested to read any comments on your problem, as I am just starting to try to learn about this stuff :)

Read somewhere Vicky that you have to reduce the number of CPU's in use to use registax but thats about the only thing I know not being an imager! 

I'm no PC expert but try a defrag on your hard drive and close all the programs that are running including the net (I know I know you need to post). I also read something about the drizzle rate or something in DSS this needs to be at 1. Also try cropping the images before putting them into process. 

Read somewhere Vicky that you have to reduce the number of CPU's in use to use registax but thats about the only thing I know not being an imager! 

I'm no PC expert but try a defrag on your hard drive and close all the programs that are running including the net (I know I know you need to post). I also read something about the drizzle rate or something in DSS this needs to be at 1. Also try cropping the images before putting them into process.

Thanks Damian - I'll fire up the laptop later and see if I can make any sense of that lot lol - wouldn't know how to find the number of CPU's in use, let alone reduce them! Don't even know what a drizzle rate is...... Anyway, I'll see if I can suss it out - I'm sure I'll yell if I need anything clarifying.

Don't worry about me needing to post - remember I use my f/3.7 iPad to do my posting! ;)

Thanks Leigh - it is an ancient laptop I had given, however I does suddenly seem to be struggling to say I only use it for my Astro stuff. I think I need someone quite computer-savvy to take a look at it to see if they can spot what's causing the problems. Don't want to start buying a new one if it just needs a "clean up", but I wouldn't know where to start.

Hope you get your issue sorted Sam - some of the AP chaps might be able to shed some light on it for you :)

If you want me to have a look at it sometime Vicky then I can do for you.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Hi Being done at old moor a hour now still Cloudy it might clear a bit when it starts at six Will report later Neil

Just had a peek outside to see if it looked like it was clearing. It's definitely looking to be a bit more broken now, so hopefully you'll get some clear patches later on. Hope you have a good evening - I was very tempted by the pie and pea supper! ;)

Thanks Chris - I'm just firing it up now (can hear the internal cogs grinding lol) - will give you a yell if I need anything clarifying. Fingers crossed! :)

Yea just give me a shout, I can fix most computer issues

Disk Cleanup only cleared 256MB, which doesn't seem much. Just on with a defragmentation of the C: drive. We await it's response lol ;)

All good steps. How much free space is there actually on the C drive?

All good steps. How much free space is there actually on the C drive?

It says 111GB free of 284GB, but it is still thinking about the defragmentation.

It is on Pass 2: 52% relocated and thinking very hard......... Lots of whirring of fans lol

Just as an aside - my Recovery D: drive says 1.63GB free if 13.1GB - is this bad? Will this affect the performance of the laptop?

Sorry, I know LOTS about computers - I watch The IT Crowd lol ;)

It says 111GB free of 284GB, but it is still thinking about the defragmentation.

It is on Pass 2: 52% relocated and thinking very hard......... Lots of whirring of fans lol

Just as an aside - my Recovery D: drive says 1.63GB free if 13.1GB - is this bad? Will this affect the performance of the laptop?

Sorry, I know LOTS about computers - I watch The IT Crowd lol ;)

That all seems OK to me. It can still be badly fragmented with lots of free space.

Archived