WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a fantastic night at Winscar last night! It remained clear all night apart from one band of cloud that took around 5 minutes to pass over.

When I got to the small carpark I was greeted by the Milky Way running clear overhead. I also could easily see Andromeda with the naked eye. Something I've not witnessed before. The Double Cluster in Casseopia was easily visible also.

I turned the scope towards Uranus and found it straight away. Then I also managed to find Neptune. Which was fantastic because it now means I've managed to view all the major planets first hand! They were tiny!! But nonetheless they were there. Tiny little blue discs through a 6mm slv eyepiece providing 200x magnification.

I then swapped the eyepiece for my new 2 inch Explore Scientific 24mm Ocular. This provided spectacular views of lots of deep space objects. Andromeda filled the eyepiece!! Amazing!! I then went down to Triangulum Galaxy which is also larger than I anticipated.

Using Stellarium I then managed to lacate M74 Spiral Galaxy some 30 million light years away. Another first for me. I can't remember the order in which I viewed the next targets but I also viewed. M2 Dumbell Nebula, Bodes Nebula, M71 cluster. Ring nebula. M2, M5 clusters. Double Cluster, Pleiades. I think that was about it.

In between looking through the scope I kept wearily looking over my shoulder to make sure the Boogy man wasn't going to get me lol[emoji33]

All in all a great evenings viewing. So glad I took the oppertunity to go up there!

Fab report Ryan, and so pleased you had clear skies. I am looking at where Uranus and Neptune are currently as, like yourself, if I can view these whilst they are so well placed I have also seen all the major planets first hand - if I can get the DSLR on to take an image of even the smallest "dot" I can say I've imaged them all too lol :)

Looking forward to getting out to do a bit of viewing sometime soon.

By the way chaps - 52 notifications since yesterday dinner time??? Really?!? And they say Ursula rattles on........ ;)

Fab report Ryan, and so pleased you had clear skies. I am looking at where Uranus and Neptune are currently as, like yourself, if I can view these whilst they are so well placed I have also seen all the major planets first hand - if I can get the DSLR on to take an image of even the smallest "dot" I can say I've imaged them all too lol :)

Looking forward to getting out to do a bit of viewing sometime soon.

By the way chaps - 52 notifications since yesterday dinner time??? Really?!? And they say Ursula rattles on........ ;)

Cheers Vicky [emoji4]

I was more than pleased finding Uranus and Neptune to say the least!

Let me know if you head out anywhere.

And your right! This lot dont half rattle on haha [emoji23]

Excellent Ryan well done. I just need to see them two and Iv also got all the main planets.

There's only been so many posts because we've managed to get a word in [emoji6]

Mark

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Cheers Mark [emoji6]

is that the 82deg version? if so, thats what I got the other week and it is indeed a stunning piece of glass - soon to be joined by the 11mm version :grin:

It is indeed Nick! Absolutely love it! Its a beast! [emoji437]

Had a fantastic night at Winscar last night! It remained clear all night apart from one band of cloud that took around 5 minutes to pass over.

When I got to the small carpark I was greeted by the Milky Way running clear overhead. I also could easily see Andromeda with the naked eye. Something I've not witnessed before. The Double Cluster in Casseopia was easily visible also.

I turned the scope towards Uranus and found it straight away. Then I also managed to find Neptune. Which was fantastic because it now means I've managed to view all the major planets first hand! They were tiny!! But nonetheless they were there. Tiny little blue discs through a 6mm slv eyepiece providing 200x magnification.

I then swapped the eyepiece for my new 2 inch Explore Scientific 24mm Ocular. This provided spectacular views of lots of deep space objects. Andromeda filled the eyepiece!! Amazing!! I then went down to Triangulum Galaxy which is also larger than I anticipated.

Using Stellarium I then managed to lacate M74 Spiral Galaxy some 30 million light years away. Another first for me. I can't remember the order in which I viewed the next targets but I also viewed. M2 Dumbell Nebula, Bodes Nebula, M71 cluster. Ring nebula. M2, M5 clusters. Double Cluster, Pleiades. I think that was about it.

In between looking through the scope I kept wearily looking over my shoulder to make sure the Boogy man wasn't going to get me lol[emoji33]

All in all a great evenings viewing. So glad I took the oppertunity to go up there!

Nice report Ryan. Opportunities are scarce so should be grabbed.

Good you got out and don't worry about the bogey man we're old friends it's the WereRabbits you have to be wary of!

Think you missed a digit off the dumbell M27 but other than that a lovely detailed and enthusiastic report and I wish I could've joined you up there.

Damian

Nice report Ryan. Opportunities are scarce so should be grabbed.

Good you got out and don't worry about the bogey man we're old friends it's the WereRabbits you have to be wary of!

Think you missed a digit off the dumbell M27 but other than that a lovely detailed and enthusiastic report and I wish I could've joined you up there.

Damian

Yeah I like to get out as often as I can.

Can't believe no one warned me about the wererabbits!! I'll keep my eye out next time! [emoji23]

Well spotted mate. I didn't notice that typo. I did mean M27.

Nice that you got out Ryan, it was cloudy all night for me at home.

Winscar is a 70-mile round trip for me so not something I'm likely to do often.

Yeah that's a long way mate! You would have to guarentee a clear night for you to make the trip.

Archived