WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Gain - you're the man to question - I really want an ioptron cem60 but not sure if I'll ever need such an expensive mount because I don't know if I'll ever get bigger telescopes than the two I have. So I'm thinking of going for the ioptron ieq45. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually Gain - you're the man to question - I really want an ioptron cem60 but not sure if I'll ever need such an expensive mount because I don't know if I'll ever get bigger telescopes than the two I have. So I'm thinking of going for the ioptron ieq45. What do you think?

Sam...both the CEM 60 and IEQ 45 Pro are very good mounts and capable of carrying both scopes. If you have money spare, I would also consider a good quality 80-110mm APO for imaging. Money saved by not going for the CEM60 will allow for the apo.Just check their compatibility with ASCOM if that is your thing?

What is ASCOM? I know it's something to do with guiding, but the only time I tried guiding just to see if it worked I used in-camera mode on PHD2

It's the driver standard for talking to goto mounts isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

What is ASCOM? I know it's something to do with guiding, but the only time I tried guiding just to see if it worked I used in-camera mode on PHD2

It's just another instrument protocol layer. You may in the future use devices or software which are ascom compliant. You don't need it for guiding at this stage. Some users use Ascom for telescope/dome/other devices control. Wasn't sure if you did?

I really want an APO, I guess if I get the ieq45 it'll give me time to save up before the missus has me under the them and carries wallet [emoji12]

If you manage it...makes sure it is of good quality with a matched field flattener

I have decided to go and become an impulsive purchaser! As soon as I get home I will be ordering the ieq45. I blame the recent pictures for being better than I could ever do before - I'm going to break it to the missus gently in a few months - she loves abroad, she won't know the difference [emoji16]

I have decided to go and become an impulsive purchaser! As soon as I get home I will be ordering the ieq45. I blame the recent pictures for being better than I could ever do before - I'm going to break it to the missus gently in a few months - she loves abroad, she won't know the difference [emoji16]

I'd suggest getting better with what you have first Sam. The gear doesn't do it for you although it can help.

Basics first as all the gear and no idea is an expensive route to learn!

I'm not getting rid of my old stuff, but I need to get this before I get married too and if I wait until we go to book the wedding I know this money will disappear [emoji30]

It's a long expensive frustrating route your walking down there Sam. [emoji31]

Archived