sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

New Atik cameras with integrated filter wheel

We have received details of the first of the new models with integrated filter wheel together with a special launch price. We also have details of a little something extra that took us by surprise... 

Unfortunately Atik want to launch the camera at Astrofest so have imposed an embargo on us dealers until midday Friday. Sorry  :blush:

The camera will be displayed at Atik's stall at Astrofest and can be pre-ordered at our website Friday. Deliveries should commence March. 

We are genuinely excited about this new camera, Atik's best so far, and are looking forward to posting details, photos and a price  :smile:

Steve 

na.. na.. nanaaa na.. told you..  :p

Well... thought hard this year... but it's a long & expensive travel down so thought I'd save the cost & put it towards something nice... maybe only 2 sleeps to go then...  :icon_question:  

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steve wouldn't be interested. He hates that kind of thing. On the other hand a full frame 29 MP camera would be just fine and dandy thank you VERY much indeed... lly

It put a maniacal grimace on mine ............. To be honest, I'm not sure that Olly is qualified to review a piece of kit as sophisticated as this - I mean, he cycles and drives a Panda so technolog

We met with Atik at Kelling where they were showing prototypes of a new family of cameras with integrated filter wheels.  They will compliment the existing range of Atik cameras, not replace them.  We

Posted Images

Ooh yes good thinking.. that would be good. Even in Scotland :grin:

I do think that if Atik want to become a worldwide brand then they do need to have much better cooling. OK, it's not really needed in UK and northern Europe, it's more than sufficient, but I'm sure they want to break into other markets.

I do think that if Atik want to become a worldwide brand then they do need to have much better cooling. OK, it's not really needed in UK and northern Europe, it's more than sufficient, but I'm sure they want to break into other markets.

Well the few clear nights we've had I've struggled to hit -20 on all 3 of my 3 Atiks this winter as it's been so mild. They all vary by a few degrees as to how low they go as well so not that consistent. I don't use darks & find there's a definite difference going lower than -10. 

The cooling on my atik460 is not great, I've struggled to make -15 so I reckon my cooling is barely 20 below ambient. I agree with Sara the cooling needs to be better especially for those of us who do want to try an image on the short summer nights ! I think I will make this point to Mr Atik when I see him.

I think that this is a good point. Luckily, the Sony chips are pretty noise free. The same can't be said of the Aitk cooling system...it kicks up a heck of a racket and is marginal, at best. My 428 sounds like a turbo-charged hair-drier...I really do wonder about the longevity of the tiny fan. They'd be better with a larger, slower running fan. Plus the camera struggles to reach a Delta-T of -20C from ambient (its supposed to be rated at a Delta-T of -25C. I can't say that I've ever seen that on mine).

The cooling on the QHY systems is far superior. Even the "entry-level" QHY8L does a Delta-T of -40C. I'd love to see what the QHY21/22/23 does with the Sony chips (the same chips as the $-series Atik 428,460 and 490) and a Delta-T of -45C. That's bound to make a difference in hotter climates where the night-time temperatures are much higher.

Having said that, the cooling on these new Atiks certainly looks a lot beefier.

• Like 1

My Atik 4000 has a water cooling facility, not that I've ever tried it, it does reach -15 except on really hot summer nights unlike the 314L that struggles to reach -10 at any time of year.

Dave

We will be at Astrofest tomorrow (Friday) so might not be able to post here at SGL but if you check our website's Atik camera section midday you will find details of two new cameras and a low introductory bundle price  :smiley:

Steve 

• Like 1

We will be at Astrofest tomorrow (Friday) so might not be able to post here at SGL but if you check our website's Atik camera section midday you will find details of two new cameras and a low introductory bundle price.   :smiley:

Steve 

Good luck tomorrow with the debut gig.. :grin:

We will be at Astrofest tomorrow (Friday) so might not be able to post here at SGL but if you check our website's Atik camera section midday you will find details of two new cameras and a low introductory bundle price  :smiley:

Steve 

Two? Did I just see a cat fly past me? :D

So it would seem that they've now upped the cooling to -35 deg., if their OEM CCDs are anything to go by ...  http://www.artemisccd.com/vs-range-cooled-ccd-cameras-for-oem-integration.html ... and I believe USB 3.0 compatible http://www.artemisccd.com/products-under-development.html

Edited by AlistairHowie

Come on Stephen I am most interested in this :grin:

Is there no one at Astrofest with an internet connection who can post specs that they can see at the Atik stand?

Edited by swag72