budget guiding - will this work?

m37

Until I can afford a proper guide cam to go with my shiny new HEQ5 (which has emptied my bank account) I had a moment of derring do and splashed out 99p on a reduced Tesco webcam. An old nosepiece from an aborted Toucam conversion fitted in nicely, had a spare T to female 1.25" adaptor from my filter wheel set and eventually found a T to T joining ring in the middle of my now retired Pentax T ring.

I fashioned all of this into a super cheap (99p) guide camera:

post-31053-0-14739100-1381152865_thumb.p

I have hooked it up to PHD and got an image!!! It's even vaguely in focus:

post-31053-0-08770200-1381152896_thumb.p

Now taking bets on how disappointingly inadequate this will be when I fire it up tonight (cloud permitting). Any takers?  :p

Based on my experiences guiding with unmodded webcams, I think you could get it to work with a fast guide scope but finding a star might end up being very difficult with the OAG. If you still have your Imaging Source camera you might have more luck because it can do up to 30 second exposures

And the exciting news is... no. It didn't. Totally rubbish in low light. Spent 5 minutes tracking a star that turned out to be a hot pixel. :) Classic.

Took your advice bdc and hooked up the DMK to the off axis guider today. Had a play in daylight and the focus is pretty much spot on. Used a x0.6 focal reducer to give me more sky to look at when searching for guide stars. Could still be tricky though.

Just started raining so we'll have to wait for the results.

cheers

Archived