Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Now that ISON has crossed the orbit of Mars, it is time we start contemplating on possible techniques to photograph it.

Personally I have a Sky-watcher 200PDS on the HEQ5-PRO goto mount, and my trusty Canon 550D. I have never attempted to photograph a comet before, so would highly appreciate any tip and advice from anyone in these forums.

I may be wrong as i've only ever imaged Panstarrs but i just used fairly standard settings, ISO 1600 and 1 minute exposures so you dont get too much movement in the comet if stacking images. I used a 200mm lens when shooting Panstarrs so tracking it was no prob. Not sure how you would get on with the focal length of the 200p, but i'm sure there is a way :)

I've got a 200PDS on an NEQ6 Pro. This picture was Comet C/2011 L4 Panstarrs in March this year, through the 200PDS. It was 4 minutes of 20 and 10 second exposures, stacked in Deep Sky Stacker. The mount was tracking the sky, but I wasn't guiding on the comet.

c2011l4panstarrs3.jpg

This GIF animation was Comet 168P Hergenrother in October 2012. It was also taken through the scope, from memory 10 x 2 minute exposures, one after another, so you can see how fast the Comet was moving in the 20 minute period. The mount was tracking the sky, but I wasn't guiding on the comet.

168p_hergenrother.gif

• 1 month later...

Archived