Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Desperately seeking star diagonal

Well, my Towa arrived Thursday and since then I seem to have done nothing but clean it and search for bits that I need.

For ease of viewing, I've decided on a 20mm 1.25" ep, (ostara 20mm plossl £14.99) that should arrive sometime this week. All I want now is the .96"-1.25"star diagonal preferably 45* and with a prism rather than mirror. I'm guessing the prism would actually give me a fully corrected view rather than simply the reversed view from a mirror??

Unfortunately I don't have buckets of money available and if I'm totally honest I don't really want to spend too much just yet. Rather, I'd like to see how far both me and my young son get on with it all. Incidentally, my son today peered through the towa for the first time at ... Yes, those chimney pots again!! I fitted the biggest eyepiece I had (12mm). I'd already focused on the chimney pots and asked him to take a look. The grin on his face said it all, but he asked (why is it upside down??) lol, at least it proved he could actually look through it - he's only just turned 6. I bet to him that was magical, can't wait to get it outside pointing up at the moon!!

I've done a web search that has come up with nothing really, I can't check the classifieds as my score is still relatively low. Does anybody know where I might find what I'm searching for?

Thanks

Tosh

P.S the 20mm ep will only give 60x magnification on the 1200 Towa, can anyone recommend something other than the moon that will hold a 6yr olds attention - I'd really like him to be bitten by this. It would make those coming dark nights fun, rather than staring at the tv.

Hi Tosh,

Sorry I can't be more help and this may not be the option you are looking for but you could get one of these 0.965" to 1.25" adaptors

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/scopeteknix/eyepiece/adaptor.html

and then get one of these Amici prism corrected star diagonals

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/24.html

Nightfisher may be along to direct you to a one-piece unit but I am not familiar with them as I do not and have never had the need, Jules has.

Ian

Hi Tosh and a belated welcome to SGL.

It's a pity that Jupiter is an early morning planet to view at the present time. Mind you it would give you son something to talk about with his friends that he saw it and its Gallilean moons orbiting Jupiter whislt they were sleeping.

You could try Venus in the evenings. You or he will or may only see a small phase, but none the less rewarding if you know where to look after the Sun is below the horizon.

You could even do sunspot projection when we have cloud free days. On your sons school holidays, you could use several days (weather permitting) do several daily projections and show him that the Sun does rotate too.

There was Saturn in the evenings, but it's way past its best for this year as it is getting lost in the evening twighlght. It is 'rewarding' in any scope. My first view of Saturn was with a Tasco 4ETE. A 40x/40mm refractor. It got me into this wonderful hobby.

Then of course you could try some of the well known doubles, ie Mizar & Alcor in Ursa Major. Another that got me into this hobby with the Tasco.

Hope this helps you. Other SGL members may or will have other targets for you and your sons viewing pleasures.

Thanks to all.

@Nightfisher - just clicked the link you sent, unfortunately they are out of stock. No timescale is given as to when they'll next be available. So the hunt goes on...........

@Proto Star - the Towa came with a straight plastic .96"-1.25" adapter. I dismissed the idea of using that combined with a readily available 1.25" star diagonal for fear of creating more problems, I (maybe wrongly) assumed it would be vastly inferior for the light path as opposed to a dual fitting version.

Does using to many adapters create sag? Thus diminishing the optical path? Given the Towas pretty feeble spec' compared to many modern scopes I just assumed I would need to squeeze every ounce out of it. Would I be right in guessing it creates havoc with collomation?

Tosh

Thanks for the (long) list Philip and the warm welcome, I didn't see your reply until I just sent my last post - my heads beginning to hurt trying to work everything out and then answer my sons never ending barrage of questions to which I don't even now the answers yet!

If anyone can help me with this Star Diagonal, I'll order it tomorrow and report back on what I make of it and the Ostara 20mm lens that's hopefully here soon. TBH I really don't want to spend more than £40. I'm really trying to keep it all a bit of fun at the moment. Last thing I want is my son too scared to use it - or more like me too scared to let him use it!! lol

Thanks to everyone

Tosh

Just to let everyone know - I've ordered a star diagonal off amazon. From Telescope House??

Meade Hybrid Erecting Prism .96"-1.25" 45* hopefully that along with the new eyepiece Ostara 20mm will make a difference, a BIG one I sincerely hope.

I'll keep everyone informed how things progress!!

Tosh

Arrived home this evening to find a drop card ... Ahh' my Budget Ostara E/P, The courier was kind enough to leave it with my neighbour - top guy!!

Just then my neighbour knocked on the door with it!! Top neighbour!!

10 mins later I'm ripping the jiffy bag open. Oh my,  it was Meade Erecting Prism I ordered yesterday from Telescope House via amazon. that's pretty amazing delivery speed I think you'll agree.

5 mins later the Towa is outside with it's new Prism fitted pointing at the nearest testing target - in my case the gargoyles on the church roof next to me.

First eyepiece was my biggest 1.25" the 12.5mm.

Took me a few seconds to focus it, almost fully racked out. Well it was certainly brighter, sharpness wise...... erm, Okay, tried the next size down (9mm). slightly darker and possibly a little sharper. Just to note I haven't properly cleaned any of the eyepieces. Apart from blower brush and canned air.

I was semi-satisfied, told myself it was the poor ep's. Whilst the scope was out I decided to to try out the old .965's that also came with the Towa. Opting straight for the 12.5 (HM 12.5mm Japan ???)  I inserted it into what I assume is a metal sleeve designed just for that (that too came with the towa). And took a peek...

Oh my God!! The difference was startling. Jeez, the clarity. could easily pick out the midges hovering around the gargoyles nose!! lol - I'm smiling now. I swung the scope round and focused on the large tree next to the church. BANG!! insects  feeding on the decaying leaves snapped into focus. Oh yes, this is more like it.

Stayed out for  a while trying different ep's - the 12.5mm .965" is without doubt my best one. Interesting to note that I could see no colour fringing when looking at the gargoyles with their relatively dark stone against the bright evening sky. Considering I've had the front cell off, and not collimated it whatsoever, plus the fact the scope is what?? 40yrs old ?? - I am impressed, can't wait to compare the 831. (I hear you Jules - I'm not touching anything on that!!)

I'm pretty much expecting the Ostara to arrive tomorrow. Also, I've accepted that the new prism is really suited for terrestrial viewing, so hopefully I'll pick up a 90 degree star diagonal (mirror version this time) at the end of the month.

Tosh

Archived