Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the best all round telescope for around £300-£400

Thanks for the translation!

Just looking at that site, is it worth the £50 to go up to a 10" or am I making the novice mistake of believing bigger is better?

Jim

bigger is better providing you can handle it. The trick is to get the biggest scope you can get  that can be used anywhere you want to use it. 

by the way here is an alternative to the orion

http://www.greatredspot.com/Zhumell%20Z-Series%208-inch%20Dobsonian.htm

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although the Dob will give you the best 'bangs for bucks', as it is your first scope before buying I would suggest (if you have already not done so) that you take the time to research the other types of scopes and consider their pros and cons.

Have a good think about your viewing area (eg is it restrictive, do you intend to view at remote/multiple locations), make sure you know the physical size of scope, consider where you will store it, is imaging an interest, do I want Goto, and of course what do you want to observe ?

You would not be the first to think eg; a Newtonian is best and then after visiting SGL realise that no I need a DOB, no I need a refractor, no actually a MAK is probably best for now. :wink:

I took awhile before jumping in (using binoculars for many years) and I am glad I used that time to get what has definitely been proven to be the right choice for me.

Fully agree, I have two refractors and use the Helios 15x70 bino's the most. No setup time, easy to transport and fantastic views, idea for dodging the clouds and on those rare clear nights I have the scopes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

John Stewart........Sky-Watcher `Skyliner` 200P/D great with the BST 8mm  Starguider  [maybe your first eyepiece replacement] (my choice) available new, from the auction bay site ? Ive several comments (Editorials almost  Lol ) dotted around this site if you wanna chase them. A very popluar telescope, I purchased on reccomendation, not by trial, due to my location. Read  study and study more. Loads to learn, but capable to learn very quickly. Aperture is  very Important in this game, make that your first choice on specification,, then decide what you want to look at. You wont see all the Planets or the Moon everyday? But theres a lifetimes worth to study and view out there. Easy to operate on the Dodsonian mount, primary use for visual observing, photographic use will be limited. Wishing you a few sleepless nights while you learn and try to decide. All the answers are here and on the www. take care

impactcrater......Check out Astro Baby (http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm)for) for collimation. Its something you will have to do at some time with ownership of the Dob. My first collimation was using the 35mm film lid. After inserting a white reflector in the lid, I had a perfect centre spot circle surrounding the 1mm peep-hole that i`m looking through. Easy enough to do, easier with someone helping. due to the telescopes length ( i cant reach down/along to adjust the screws and look through the cap at the same time). Its an easy task once mastered, just daunting to begin with. I`ve also purchased a Next Gen Laser collimator  for when I`m away on my own ( mine needed a minor adjustment  for alignment) but  first use, looked as if the scope was out of collimation, yet using the cap, and my first light, all looked good. As long as the Primary mirrors centre spot is aligned over the hole ( also the secondary correctly aligned - explained in the guide - but dont go dismantling the spider/secondary mirror from new, not just yet, give it time to settle) Maybe  my  Laser is to accurate, causing too much messing around with adjustments. That laser dot is tiny, fits well inside the primary spot. If Barlowed, its easier to see the primary circle reflected (all will become clear). I`ve collimated once with the 35mm cap, and again testing the Laser in the last Month since new. I`ll probably just use the 35mm cap due to its simplicity. I need a finger to apply pressure to the laser to keep it central in the tube, adding masking tape  stops it from entering the tube (it needs to be perfectly centralised) Think twice about lasers, most would  suggest just a cheshire site tube. In reply to your second question, a small cannon maybe. My Mrs says she could fire me out of it? lastly, a refractor wont need collimating unless you drop it, so maintenance free, and  better for you, should you decide to take photographs in the future. take care.

+1 for a Maksutov. (Ie 127mm SW)

No collimation.

Great magnification for planets.

Good for bright Messier objects.

Light weight.

Easy to have a first go at astrophotography with a webcam.

Equatorial mount (EQ3?)

I had the exact same problem for years, util I finally ordered my first 8" dobsonian scope yesterday. The final duel was between Orion XT8 and Sky Watcher. I went with the Orion XT8, since they had a special package deal that included a 10mm plössl eyepiece and a better right angle finder scope. I was leaning for the Skywatcher, but this package made me go for Orion. I donät think you can look either way you choose in this case.

Now, I'm just waiting to get it delivered  :rolleyes:

I had the exact same problem for years, util I finally ordered my first 8" dobsonian scope yesterday. The final duel was between Orion XT8 and Sky Watcher. I went with the Orion XT8, since they had a special package deal that included a 10mm plössl eyepiece and a better right angle finder scope. I was leaning for the Skywatcher, but this package made me go for Orion. I donät think you can look either way you choose in this case.

Now, I'm just waiting to get it delivered  :rolleyes:

Just realized I had lots of spelling errors in my text. Can't I edit my own posts in this forum?

I used this forum before i bought my new 8" SW200P and Turn Left at Orion a few weeks back afrer reading lots of good things as a complete novice. Defo worth it as a good starting point for me! After i have learnt my way around the sky a little more will need to find out if any local events happen every now and then here in Falmouth, Cornwall :) as i may look odd sat in a field by myself lol

Hmm seems i'm the only one that would suggest one of the small Vixen VMC110 scopes

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen/vixen-vmc110l.html

its highly portable and can be mounted not only on astro mounts, but also on photographic mounts making it very usable at short notice

yes its small, but i've had some great views out of it of some of the planets & nebulas, for example saturn & the orion nebula.

It cools down very fast, is small and lieghtweight so easy to transport and has two EP fittings, so if you choose to give Astrophotography a try, its easy to fit a webcam or full sized camera to.

Archived