Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the best all round telescope for around £300-£400

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go for a Dobsonian like Jules suggested, you may want to think about either a Rigel or Telrad finderscope. They'd just make it easier to find your way around the sky than with the conventional straight-through finderscope.

Rigel http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

Telrad http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

Welcome to SGL ;)

Hi John Stewart and welcome to SGL.

From what I have seen on SGL, many members are suggesting the Skywatcher 200 Dobsonian and it is just under £280.00 from FLO (sponsers of SGL). One of my work colleagues purchased on last year and is smitten by it.

The only 'downside' with a Dobsonian is they are not suitable for photographing DSO's bcause of the long exposure involved, the Moon will be OK and brighter planets (ie Venus, Jupiter & Saturn) maybe OK. For visual as many are saying "best bang for your buck!"

I use a refractor and 2x catodioptrics (ie a Maksutov & SCT) at present.

8" dob (e.g. Skywatcher 200). Don't buy any other bits and pieces (except warm clothes and a map) until you've used the scope for several months and had time to get used to it. Otherwise a chunk of your budget will go on stuff you end up never using.

+1 for the dobsonian, 8" if you can carry it to a dark location.

I also agree: Telrad/Rigel, and don't get tempted to buy a load of accessories other then that.

two or three eyepieces will get you started.

Another in agreement. One thing I would add to the list though is a copy of Turn Left at Orion. It'll get you up and running and finding things rather than looking up and thinking 'Where do I start?'.

Oh, and download Stellarium - it's free :laugh:

Although the Dob will give you the best 'bangs for bucks', as it is your first scope before buying I would suggest (if you have already not done so) that you take the time to research the other types of scopes and consider their pros and cons.

Have a good think about your viewing area (eg is it restrictive, do you intend to view at remote/multiple locations), make sure you know the physical size of scope, consider where you will store it, is imaging an interest, do I want Goto, and of course what do you want to observe ?

You would not be the first to think eg; a Newtonian is best and then after visiting SGL realise that no I need a DOB, no I need a refractor, no actually a MAK is probably best for now. :wink:

I took awhile before jumping in (using binoculars for many years) and I am glad I used that time to get what has definitely been proven to be the right choice for me.

I agree with stevend, It's often said here that "The best scope is the one that you'll use !" no point in rushing into it and ending up regretting your purchase.

Spend a bit of time looking at the pros and cons of each type and how they fit in with your particular situation.

Remember binoculars are a great way to start out.

Saying all that, I too am a member of the 200p Dob mob  :laugh: and very happy with it.

You would not be the first to think eg; a Newtonian is best and then after visiting SGL realise that no I need a DOB, no I need a refractor, no actually a MAK is probably best for now. :wink:

Steve, why did you have to say that.... like many poor folk on here he's going to have to get all three now ... dont tell him about the need for a huge range of eyepieces, mounts, filters, cameras he'll end up buying aswell. !!!!!!

Cheers

So long as it's not for imaging, then for me the best all round visual scope for £300 to £400 is the 200P dob, because of the large aperture it gives you for your money.

It's best to check out the size first because I remember the first telescope I got seemed absolutely massive, and it is tiny compared to the 200P dob!

I have a SW200p dob, and I'm very happy with it. I have no problems (relative to my experience) with finding my way around the sky with the supplied finder scope. Although it may be a lot easier with one of those mentioned above. I think the eyepieces are more critical, but I would recommend getting to know the sky and your scope before buying a lot of equipment.

And be aware of the size. At least I was surprised by the size of the scope.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Hi Jim,

In the USA the Orion XT8 Classic is pretty much the same scope, made by the same manufacturer. Here is a link to the Orion website and the latest version of that scope:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT8-PLUS-Dobsonian-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/102780.uts?refineByCategoryId=13

I am having a difficult time finding the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P in the U.S.  Is there a U.S. distributor anyone is aware of?  Would the recommendation of the 200p change for someone in the States?

The only similiar ones I have found use dowel rods instead of a solid tube.  http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/dobsonian-telescopes/skywatcher12inchdobsoniantelescope1.cfm I am a bit leery of that.  It doesn't seem as durable and seems like it would be more likely to be a dust-magnet, yeah?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

In the USA the Orion XT8 Classic is pretty much the same scope, made by the same manufacturer. Here is a link to the Orion website and the latest version of that scope:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT8-PLUS-Dobsonian-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/102780.uts?refineByCategoryId=13

Thanks for the translation!

Just looking at that site, is it worth the £50 to go up to a 10" or am I making the novice mistake of believing bigger is better?

Jim

Archived