SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello SGL

Munkie

Hello SGL, 

My Name is George, I'm 29 from Newcastle Upon Tyne (UK).

I have been a member for a few years but never got around to being an active member as I felt lost/confused with all this telescope jargon.

Anyways I have came back this time to post and learn as yesterday I bought my very first telescope (still need to learn how to set it up tho).

I have got my hands on a Celestron NexStar 90GT, I know its cheap compared to a lot of the scopes you guys/girls will be using, but I didnt want to spend a fortune on my first scope.

It also has SkyAlign with it, which I had trouble setting up as I have no Idea what Time zone to enter for it (UK), so any tips would be great for that too.

In the future once I learn how to set it up and use it, I will also be attempting to try AstroPhotography.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi George, welcome to SGL! A great place to be and find out lots of stuff and make some friends.

If you think AP will be your bag, can I suggest a purchase of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available in the book section of the FLO website. It's an imagers bible and we should all have one for when we start out!!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi, George, and welcome (back) to SGL! I don't know your exact scope, but when entering the details using the handset  there should be an option for "Universal Time" this is the one to choose for the U.K. Until the end of this month we are also on 'daylight saving' and this option, too will have to be chosen. Most handsets also require the American system of date entry: Month, Day Year.

Hope this helps,

Martin

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I think I figured out the settings from another post on here regarding Skyalign.

This is the said telescope, sorry about picture quality, it was taken on my iPhone last night.

Posted Image

Hello SGL, 

I have been a member for a few years but never got around to being an active member as I felt lost/confused with all this telescope jargon.

Anyways I have came back this time to post and learn as yesterday I bought my very first telescope (still need to learn how to set it up tho).

I have got my hands on a Celestron NexStar 90GT, I know its cheap compared to a lot of the scopes you guys/girls will be using, but I didnt want to spend a fortune on my first scope.

It also has SkyAlign with it, which I had trouble setting up as I have no Idea what Time zone to enter for it (UK), so any tips would be great for that too.

In the future once I learn how to set it up and use it, I will also be attempting to try AstroPhotography.

Hi George,

I've just joined too. Going to get involved in the forums, seems the best way to get knowledge and get used to the terms

Good luck,

Barto

Hello SGL, 

This vid on Youtube is not exactly your scope but setup is the same :

Look around at video's it helps a lot at picturing what to do for setup. Time, Align etc..

All the best and welcome.

Ask anything, anytime, were all here to learn.

Clear Skies,

Scott.

Archived