Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just starting.

cushbag86

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The obvious is the 200P dobsonian, and it fits the budget, £280. OK a bit more.

If however there is the idea in the future of you wanting to do imaging of any sort then consider a scope mounted on an equitorial mount. Problem there being a 200P on an EQ5 is £415.

The 150P is less and a good scope also the dobsonian variant is a f/7.8 scope and so a little easier on collimation and eyepieces, just smaller on aperture and for nebuala etc aperture is relevant.

Just remember the point about imaging, dobsonians don't image.

Hi and welcome to the lounge

the most popular scope with a decent aperture is the

Skywatcher  Dobsonian http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

it gives good views and is great value for money, for a little over 

your budget is the 200mm, but there are many scopes

in that price range,and  there will be many more answers

with different scopes, it will be a hard decision to make.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Hi and welcome, I remember my first scope as a nipper, it was shaped like a space ship, it was absolute garbage.  All of the above are good as a first off. don't forget the possibility of binoculars though, very transportable, don't take up much room in the garden and you start seeing stuff you didn't know was out there!  Also google and download Stellarium, which is free, a real door opener for you.

You'll love it here, so much knowledge and experience on these forums!

Hi Guys,

Looking at getting started with first proper telescope. My son and me like looking at the planets and the odd nebula if poss! Will have about £250 to spend , Thanks ,the Cushes.

There is a Nexstar 130 SLT on ebay. Collect from Wales but it is over £400 new. A great goto for a beginner and it is still under £100.

You may get a bargain, all the scope a beginner will ever need. Worth picking up!

Welcome to SGL,

Scott.

There is a Nexstar 130 SLT on ebay. Collect from Wales but it is over £400 new. A great goto for a beginner and it is still under £100.

You may get a bargain, all the scope a beginner will ever need. Worth picking up!

Welcome to SGL,

Scott.

Have a look at one here   ->   http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-nexstar-130slt.html

Hi Cushbag86,

Welcome to SGL from me to - big decisions on choosing that first scope, but some excellent advice above re the Skyliner 200P.    Might be worth a trip along to your local club first though to see some different scopes up close and personal and with luck get a llittle time at the EP before splurging the cash.    Also definitely looking out for something second hand as they can be had with a few essential extras, like telrad and cheshire colimator for around the £ 200 mark.

Good luck and clear skies - Jake

Archived