SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Two adapter rings screwed tightly together (stuck) - how to best remove?

On 06/11/2021 at 03:46, Damien Cannane said:

I have been getting answers from this forum for years, always by arriving here from a Google search. Your suggestion here has finally compelled me to post. I was at my wit's end trying to get an M42-M48  adapter unthreaded from a 7mm extension tube. I have a new camera lens that I bought to finally go after large targets and your tennis shoe fix worked like an absolute charm! You saved my weekend: 3 clear, moonless nights forecasted and I now have the correct back focus that is so critical at f/2 for the Samyang 135mm!

Kudos!

Damien

So pleased that even 8 years later, that post helped someone else :)

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone

10 years later and this thread is still a rescue to many of us, astrophotography enthusiasts that fights with stuck adapters. I had my adapter ring connecting the focuser and flatenner and it got stuck inside the flattener so to go visual I had to buy a new adapter as the original could not come off the flattener. Recently decided to add a rotator so I needed to solve that adapter issue ones for ever.  After reading many stories i.e temperature therapy, WD40, gloves or sneakers, what did the trick in my case were two rubber wrenches, one wrapped around the flattener and the other one around the adapter, pulled together in opposite directions and 10 sec later adapter finally got unscrewed. I share that method as it helped me. You can buy that stuff in any DIY shop or on E-bay for small budget and it does the job so never give up, there is always a solution. 

rubber wrench.jpg

Edited by Mando
  • Thanks 1