Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two adapter rings screwed tightly together (stuck) - how to best remove?

Hello all! I wasn't sure what forum to post this under so hopefully this one's ok. I've received the Borg 77EDII F4.6 telescope and with it came an adapter for the focuser to accept a T2 connection. On the OAG, I've got a thin adapter ring to go from 2" (M48) to T2. Unfortunately I think I may have over-tightened the connection from the focuser to the OAG and these two adapter rings are pretty tightly fit and I can't separate them!

I've nearly broken my hands trying...

The following is a photograph of the two rings together:

StuckRings_zpsbd6d3795.jpg

The one highlighted in red is the one that needs removing. It's a thin ring that has an internal and external thread, basically. I can't seem to get enough grip to remove it. Thank you in advance for any tips! I'm sure something similar has happened many a time to many of us!

I had a very similar issue, absolutely did my head I.

I tried light heating, cooling in a freezer, rubber gloves, rubber grippy tin / jar openers. Everything I could think off.

The someone on here, Peter, I believe suggested the soles of trainers...

Get one shoe turn it upside down, place the adapter on the sole, then get the other one and put sole down on top. Then apply pressure to the face of the adapter and turn.

Took a few attempts but worked a treat.

Hope that helps.

Ant

• Like 4

I use these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-GRIP-JAR-OPENER-JARS-BOTTLES-LIDS-MULTIPURPOSE-ADJUSTABLE-RUBBER-STRAP-/261226256264?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item3cd24c5788) on one of the adapters and plumbers grips on the other!

WD40 has also been used in the past. A top tip when you do separate them is to wipe the threads with boot polish before you use them.

If you have two bits of rubber you could put them on either side and then grip it with some pliers. The rubber will protect the treads(as long as it thick enough and not very hard) from the force of the grip of the pliers and this should give enough grip for it to turn.

If you use heat/cold you have to heat one piece and cool the other. Heating or cooling both together will do little if they are of the same material, as both parts will expand or contract together changing little. This technique will only work if the rings are made of different metals.

If you heat the outside ring which should expand and cool the inside one which should contract, then you should be able to undo them.

WD 40 has been mentioned. You could apply some in the gap between the two items, and let it penetrate. If you can apply some from both sides, that may help more.  Leave it a few hours or overnight, perhaps add some more WD 40.  Only tiny amounts needed, in exactly the right place.

Then try again, wearing thick rubber gloves for a better grip, and save tearing your hands.

Or post #5 could be onto something.

Good luck, Ed.

IMHO WD40 is not the way to go...the filter clamps/ rubber sheet should separate them...

The moral of the story is to give ALL these adaptor threads a thin wipe of boot polish BEFORE assembly - works 99.99% of the time.

I normally squirt some WD40 into a clean milk or soft drink bottle cap. Dip a cotton wool bud into it, then run around both the male and female threads before joining the items together, especially filter threads when new. Seperate them. Apply a thin layer of Vaseline and use the other end of the cotton wool bud to remove any excess.

I also apply Vaseline to the draw and focus tube on my TeleVue Ranger and anything else that is threaded, (ie eyepiece locking screws, etc).

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

I normally squirt some WD40 into a clean milk or soft drink bottle cap. Dip a cotton wool bud into it, then run around both the male and female threads before joining the items together, especially filter threads when new. Seperate them. Apply a thin layer of Vaseline and use the other end of the cotton wool bud to remove any excess.

I also apply Vaseline to the draw and focus tube on my TeleVue Ranger and anything else that is threaded, (ie eyepiece locking screws, etc).

I have an old tin of 'easing oil' - applying a small amount of that and leaving for 10 minutes has done the trick.  Something like WD40 should be fine too but I wouldn't spray it directly as it will tend to go everywhere - as you say spray a bit into a small receptacle then carefully pour into th elocked threads.

I must however get into the habit of applying some boot polish or vaseline or something before I re-assemble stuff because I keep coming across this problem.  :rolleyes:

Just an update to this thread:

Thanks very much for all the helpful replies. I did try pretty much everything mentioned and you know what removed the ring in the end? I had it screwed on a bit too tightly on my optical train and when I unscrewed everything, the ring had got stuck to the OAG (where I like having it stuck to so this isn't a problem!). It's still stuck but hey, it's in a better place now. Mind you, before this happened I just went ahead and ordered a second one of these tiny adapter rings so I could use the OAG on my other telescope as well. Hopefully the ring stays where it is, on the OAG, and that's all there is to it. 

Since then I have battled with some stuck T2 spacer rings though and some have been removed but I remain to unscrew a 6mm one from a 4.5mm one. Going with laser_jock99's recommendation of getting camera filter wrenches, I have bought two sets of these:

http://linuxsat.net/3-UNBREAKABLE-Camera-filter-wrenches-34-mm-to-77-mm-Camera-filter-tools-FREE-SHIPPING-P2997200.aspx

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-UNBREAKABLE-Camera-filter-wrenches-34-mm-to-77-mm-Camera-filter-tools-/190908030021?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item2c73015c45

They are the same item but the top link is to the store's own website and the second link is to the store's eBay item listing. The set is for three of these wrenches and using them allow you to deal with 34mm to 77mm rings/filters. This is perfect as it covers everything between 1.25", T2, 2" and larger - every possible telescope accessory size I can think of that can give issues with getting stuck. I got two sets of these wrenches so I can use both hands to turn each in opposite directions. Just reference for anyone else thinking about this! :)

• 3 months later...

I had a couple of adapters stuck i brought some rubber coated cloves with thermal liners for when i am out in the obby, well after several different attempt to undo them i put the clove on and pressed the adapter tightly between and twisted, the things parted as they have never been stuck, the gloves are named " CAT Diesel Power" the inner part a rough rubber

These .......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caterpillar-Workwear-Thermal-Gripper-Gloves/dp/B0054ZHLCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391648122&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+diesel+power+gloves

With large thin adaptor rings it's better to use the two sided rubber mat approach or proper filter wrenches, this results in the pressure being equal all round. Mole grips, pipe wrenches etc impart local pressure which squeezes thin rings even tighter as well as potentially damaging them.  :smiley:

• Like 1

With large thin adaptor rings it's better to use the two sided rubber mat approach or proper filter wrenches, this results in the pressure being equal all round. Mole grips, pipe wrenches etc impart local pressure which squeezes thin rings even tighter as well as potentially damaging them.  :smiley:

I agree ive yet to have a joint i cant crack just using light even pressure from the palms of my hands.

Alan

Rubber kitchen gloves. You don't need to wear them - place one on a firm surface - then your adapter - then the second glove. Press down with your palm and twist.

Works every time for me so far. Even on really tightly bound adapters.

Hopefully I wont need this trick again. I have joined the boot polish camp.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 03/10/2013 at 21:29, ant said:

I had a very similar issue, absolutely did my head I.

I tried light heating, cooling in a freezer, rubber gloves, rubber grippy tin / jar openers. Everything I could think off.

The someone on here, Peter, I believe suggested the soles of trainers...

Get one shoe turn it upside down, place the adapter on the sole, then get the other one and put sole down on top. Then apply pressure to the face of the adapter and turn.

Took a few attempts but worked a treat.

Hope that helps.

Ant

I know this post is straight out of the morgue, but it just saved my afternoon! :)

• Like 1

There is much sense in using two rubber pads ( or the soles of trainers ) the problem with unsticking filters and other threads is, that the more you grip the outer ring, the more you distort it, which makes the whole thing much tighter still. The lightest touch with rubber kitchen gloves has always worked for me, but I shall certainly try the rubber pad solution ( I don`t posses any trainers ) if I run into any serious trouble in the future. 

From my own personal point of view, I would be reluctant to use any type of liquid oil/solvent on the threads, in fear of possible ingress into the optical system, accidents do happen. A final point, as already mentioned, a smidgen of Black boot polish ( my shoe colour ) on the threads before reassembly, is a very good tip :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm in this situation right now. I have a T-ring and an adapter ring stuck together. I've scraped my hands to the point of bleeding twisting them. I've tried WD40, I've tried sticky gloves, and I've tried running hot water on it. Any ideas?