SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Nantwich/Cheshire

idigitize

HI folks...

I'm Ben, a keen/semi pro photographer from Nantwich, Cheshire. 

About 5yrs ago I bought a SkyWatcher 4" refractor, which I kept for only about 6 months due to not really knowing what I was doing and other commitments.  I have spent sometime since pushing my photography, leaving astronomy behind, but am looking to combine the two, but do it properly this time. Ive also managed to move out of town recently, so light is much much better, another reason for getting the bug again.

Im a Nikon/mac fan, and looking for help down the astrophoto route, (Currently D800 with various lenses up to 300mm) but will try not to ask too many questions that have already been asked, so off to the forums for a read on mounts and scopes.

Cheers.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ben and welcome to SGL.

If you are wanting to take up AP can I suggest that you purchase the book 'Making Every Photon Count' that you can find in the book section of the FLO website. This is something of an imagers bible really. It will explain what you will benefit from and how it all works together. THE most important thing of all is the mount. You need it solid and preferably able to track. A good start off point if you really do have an AP interest is an HEQ5. Pick one up second hand from ABS and if needed you can sell it for little less than you paid for it.

Have a look at the imaging section as people list their kit in there so that will also give you some ideas. Be aware though, if you get the bug bad, it is very expensive indeed.

Of course for now, you can go wide and just take shots of the milky way. Lots of them and stacked in free software (DSS) and you're on your way!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Ben, welcome

Originally from Chesire (Warrington) for most of my life but now Surrey. +1 for the book as already suggested its a great read full of info and you'll read it more than once.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Archived