SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horsehead visually?

kerrylewis

I saw the nebulosity fleetingly from a great sight in Wales with a 16", but couldn't make out the "notch" that is the horsehead.

Hopefully get another chance at a decent site later this year. I can see a shortage of 20mm plossls coming before SGL9 :)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eeek, no 20 or 21mm Plossl here. But I do have a 25mm and a Paracorr with a 1.15x Barlow effect, so I guess/hope that will make the 25mm a bit like a 22 for me? Which would give me an exit pupil of about 4.9 if that's the case?  :laugh:  I don't hold out much hope for my 17.3 Delos...

I have a 21mm TV Plossl ready for my attempt :)

I've just made out the dark patch of the horsehead - but it didn't look like a horsehead, and one side was more distinct than the other. It was very difficult to see. That was from Kielder with a very good 10" and HB filter. The sky has to be excellent. Tough one!

Its on my hit list for kielder in 2 weeks .... whats the significance of the exit pupil though... dont quite get that bit ????

Cheers

I will also be at Kielder, as from the Thursday, so will be interesting to learn if you are successful, I take it that you have the H-beta filter?. Will have my wife and daughter along, so taking the bino's and the schmidt (thus leaving the dob behind) so not on my agenda.

I've not managed to see Orion yet this season let alone search for the Horse Head. Trees and houses mean that I need to wait longer than some to see objects as the season progresses  :embarrassed:

Looks like the next time to try to see the HH is the 1st November due to the moon, just hoping for some clear nights. 

I've managed it in both my 18 and 30"... under sqm 21.5 skies, although not easy by any means. I don't own an H-beta filter... my UHC helped though, showing up as a dark, backwards crescent in the 30, just a notch in the 18.  You don't need high magnification on this object at all, a misconception.... just keep Zeta Orionis out of the field of view.

I've seen the Horsehead with a 12" and UHC filter at a dark site but it was hard work. It's one of those "right of passage" objects whose fame far outstrips what you actually see. It was a lot bigger than I expected from all those descriptions that say "it's a lot smaller than you expect". What I saw was the surrounding nebulosity, which I could only see fleetingly in faint pieces, so I sketched those pieces, and I was left with a gap in the middle that was the Horsehead - looking more like a dog in my sketch. If it wasn't for the iconic photographs no visual observer would spend much time on this object.

I've seen the Horsehead with a 12" and UHC filter at a dark site but it was hard work. It's one of those "right of passage" objects whose fame far outstrips what you actually see. It was a lot bigger than I expected from all those descriptions that say "it's a lot smaller than you expect". What I saw was the surrounding nebulosity, which I could only see fleetingly in faint pieces, so I sketched those pieces, and I was left with a gap in the middle that was the Horsehead - looking more like a dog in my sketch. If it wasn't for the iconic photographs no visual observer would spend much time on this object.

Acey,which UHC and eyepiece?Focal ratio of scope?Thanks

I've managed it in both my 18 and 30"... under sqm 21.5 skies, although not easy by any means. I don't own an H-beta filter... my UHC helped though, showing up as a dark, backwards crescent in the 30, just a notch in the 18.  You don't need high magnification on this object at all, a misconception.... just keep Zeta Orionis out of the field of view.

30" Obsession is hell of a scope. I read a review of a 36" Obsession and he said he could see the pillars of creation in M16.

Acey,which UHC and eyepiece?Focal ratio of scope?Thanks

Lumicon UHC, Flextube 300P (F4.9). But the most important thing was sky darkness (SQ 21.5 approx), complete dark adaptation, and lots of patience.

30" Obsession is hell of a scope. I read a review of a 36" Obsession and he said he could see the pillars of creation in M16.

20" seems to be minimum aperture to see the Pillars but the dark lane in which they are situated can apparently be seen in as little as 8".

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1767325/Main/1765080

I had a go at the Horsehead last night with my 12" dob and the 1000 Oaks H-Beta filter kindly loaned to me by a fellow SGL member. Though the night looked promising initially, I could barely see the Flame Nebula so, unsurprisingly, the HH was not visible. It did do a careful recce of the area though so I'm more familiar now with the star patterns, how they look though the finder and how they look through various eyepieces / field of view. I've narrowed down where this object is to be found, when conditions are more favourable.

Archived