Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Can I Expect to See....?

Reading these posts, from the first one which is a great help to everyone not wanting to feel dissapointed down to last one makes me feel spend the night in the cold with my eyes only watching the sky...

Thx all

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this! For a while I wondered what might be wrong with my telescope. Now, you've confirmed that I actually saw the things I thought I saw even though they didn't look like the images that I used to try and recognize what I was looking for!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this! For a while I wondered what might be wrong with my telescope. Now, you've confirmed that I actually saw the things I thought I saw even though they didn't look like the images that I used to try and recognize what I was looking for!

I believe if u look around you will dig out lots of more detailed discriptions of what you might see through your scope but none i have read cover such a range and depth in one post as per the OP's. I still remeber my disapointment of first light on Andromeda but part due to a better scope, part to better technique and big part due to better unddrstanding of the mechanics/physics, so basically evertything about what i am doing and viewing, my experience is a world away from that first light of this beautiful galaxy. Or simply with time ones experiences become more fullfilling.

Steve

• Like 1

I believe if u look around you will dig out lots of more detailed discriptions of what you might see through your scope but none i have read cover such a range and depth in one post as per the OP's. I still remeber my disapointment of first light on Andromeda but part due to a better scope, part to better technique and big part due to better unddrstanding of the mechanics/physics, so basically evertything about what i am doing and viewing, my experience is a world away from that first light of this beautiful galaxy. Or simply with time ones experiences become more fullfilling.

Steve

Really good points! I recognize that repeated sessions will improve my observing skills and I'll be able to notice more detail.

However, when you talk to someone about buying a scope and they say, "Oh sure! You'll be able to see all the planets, the rings of Saturn, and some deep sky objects with that! No problem!" well, then your expectations usually get set higher than the reality. This post really helped me reset those expectations.

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I wish Stellarium had a set of sketches like these as an alternative for its DSO photographs. I'd use it instead of the photos.

This is a great thread that will give many new amateur astronomers a good idea of what the visual sky looks like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi here is a link to DSO sketches http://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-guide.html

These are all sketches I have printed them off laminated and spiral bound them really handy I have done complete sets

These are absolutely excellent, these should remain a permanent part of the forum. Can it not be moved to its own thread and stickied up or something like that. Or maybe moved to the front of this thread and marked up?  HEADS UP ADMINS!!!

• Like 2

Hi here is a link to DSO sketches http://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-guide.html

These are all sketches I have printed them off laminated and spiral bound them really handy I have done complete sets

It's a fab resource and as Steve says, it should be stickied somewhere or other.

However, I don't think the guide is all sketches, Vlasov says this at the bottom of the page:

Copyright Information:

Thumbnail images were taken from NGC/IC Project database

Negative DSS images were used (data courtesy of the Digital Sky Survey).

Additional image sources: HubblesiteNGC7000 site (Copyright © Ole Nielsen 200-2007),National Optical Astronomy Observatory (copyright © NOAO/AURA/NSF), Sky-Map.org,AstroFX site (Copyright © Charlie Warren).

SAC 7.7 Deep sky database: Data courtesy of the Saguaro Astronomy Club

His sketches, still incredibly impressive, are here.

The good thing about them is that he actually states the size of the 'scope, EP used, mag etc.

Puts anything I could do to shame.  :grin:

• Like 1

The title says it all what can I expect to see, its a fantastic post and I think the link I posted compliments this topic for a newb it gives a true image of what to expect by eyeballing through a telescope and not looking at one of many thousands of colour images fabulous pictures in there own right, but a newb is just not going to observe (eyeball) them as a colour image. I know members have taken many hours to capture a image and many hours of processing to get fab colour pictures.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

how does globular clusters look like in 8 inch dobsonian, and which eyepieces to use for DSO.

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/?fov[]=41|28|||1||&messier=11

also

http://goo.gl/UocUhB

Have a look at this tool the above is taken from the FOV tool i used  7mm pentax lens this tool simulates what you would see

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

Edited by daiwelly

• 2 weeks later...

Great post and very pleased that I read it! I've read a few similar bits online and am aware of what I should be expecting from my 3.5" mini-dob.

Can I safely say that it is different with astrophotography? with an 8" 'scope, decent camera set-up and patience you can get these DSO's in colour rather than the grey seen by the human eye (again aware that it's to do with light wavelenghts).

thanks,

SL

• Like 1

:shocked:   And I thought I might be able to see Neil Armstrong's footprint on the Moon.   :huh:   Ah well, one can dream I suppose!  Great article, a must read by all newcomers. 

http://www.space.com/14874-apollo-11-landing-site-moon-photo.html

Enjoy yes it can be seen. FLO are taking inquiries for a Hubble (Humour) http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/hubble-cassegrain-reflector-telescope.html

Enjoy your new hobby by the way Future Learn (OU) have a moons course starting and its free 8 wks period I think you would enjoy it

Edited by daiwelly

It being rainy and nasty out, I've been re-reading this invaluable guide, and as the first reading, it is so helpful. After approximately one year of taking my stargazing 'seriously' (well, as serious as it gets at Ghostdance Towers!), the following bit really leapt out for me. This is so true and pertinent to any novice or old hand:

"There’s also another truism which rings truer to an astronomer’s heart beat. All things being equal, you will see more tomorrow than you did today, and so it follows that you will never see less than you did this evening. Each evening with a galaxy or nebula you are training your eye and brain to notice more than what you have already seen. And that takes time; it takes patience, a little love and care at the eyepiece."

Advice I learn from every night I'm privileged to be out in our fabulous universe. And when the clouds are socked in and cloaking it all, I'm still learning and thinking about this - and never seeing less.

So, thanks Qualia :) Again :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to stargazing and recently bought a cheap Celestron travel scope to get me started. Managed to get out a once or twice and got some results like those shown in this thread. I have to say though, this thread is spot on and really useful for making sense of what to expect. I didn't expect hubble pics and was amazed just to see the moons of Jupiter! Nebulae are my next challenge as most of the planets are below the horizon at the time I can get out at the moment, so it's great to see what to expect from those.

Really helpful to beginners like me, thank you for taking the time to put the info together.

Adhyskonydh :)

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to stargazing and recently bought a cheap Celestron travel scope to get me started. Managed to get out a once or twice and got some results like those shown in this thread. I have to say though, this thread is spot on and really useful for making sense of what to expect. I didn't expect hubble pics and was amazed just to see the moons of Jupiter! Nebulae are my next challenge as most of the planets are below the horizon at the time I can get out at the moment, so it's great to see what to expect from those.

Really helpful to beginners like me, thank you for taking the time to put the info together.

Adhyskonydh :)

you shouldnt have any problem getting reasonable views of the orion nebula for a starter

• Like 1